LegacyGT.com

Subaru denying coverage, HELP!

toburke

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice on a pretty bad situation.

My car (05 LGT) started making some bad noises that sounded like they were coming from the turbo (it was kind of whipping noise on deceleration, and a whine above ~3k rpm when I accelerated), so I took it in to Subaru. The noise got worse (kind of a rattle) within about a mile of the dealership, but no CEL or oil light or anything, so I wasn't too worried.

I got a call friday saying that there was only a quart of oil in the car, and because the turbo is oil fed, it was making the noise. They did a diagnostic test and found metal in the oil. They are telling me I need a new engine and turbo ($8100) and they are denying warranty coverage because I have no service records showing I changed the oil.

I do my own oil changes w/ Mobil 1 every 5k. I have no way of showing this though and they obviously don't believe me. It literally makes sick thinking about this.

Any idea what about could have happened? (dealership said they didn't see signs of a leak). Also, what is the best way to go about talking to Subaru about this? Just call the 1-800?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, I am freaking out.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Call SOA & see if you can get them on your side, if that dosnt work ask the dealership to run a test on the oil.With that they (imho) should be able to tell how recent your oil change was. BS if you ask me.

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

i really hate seeing things like this happen. i had a similiar ordeal with GM, when my car threw a rod. in that case it was a problem motor---'quad 4' 4 cylinder, but it was still a nightmare.

i hope everything works out for you.

first off.... where are the getting $8100? :shakeshead:

second, just go to where ever you bought the oil and ask for a reciept. You shoul donly have to prove one oil change (within prior 7500 miles)

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Regrettably, I hadn't checked the oil level in a while. I don't really remember the last time, but the last change was a little over 4k ago.

It looks like some other members have had problems with oil consumption, especially with Mobil 1, so I guess it could've been that.

$8100 was the estimate for a new engine and turbo with labor. I don't know the breakdown, but I assume that's high? I don't think I can afford a new engine anyway.

Bulldog, you think the place would just give me a receipt? I don't have any proof I actually bought the oil there.

I'm going to call Subaru today, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Proof of maintenance is very important and a easy way to get this covered (if you had kept copies). Otherwise you probably have a bumpy road ahead of you regarding warranty.

Regarding the quote, $8100.00 is pretty cheap for a complete engine & turbo...similar engine repairs at my local dealer go anywhere from $9k to $12k

One thing the dealer won't tell you is when a turbo dies it eats oil because the bearing clearances go out the window and the oil gets burned up as it seeps out the compressor side and goes through the motor or it coats the exhaust pipes and kills your catalytic converters as it leaks out the turbine side.

Unfortunately, with out proof of service you are fighting an uphill battle.

That really, really sucks. I hate to hear stuff like this as I do oil changes myself as well and I I'm not sure I could prove it. I would fight tooth and nail to get it covered and when all else fails take out a loan to do an all out STi swap.

Keep us up to date on how you make out.

No. I asked the dealership about that though and said it wouldn't matter. I could try to look at my credit card statements (if I used a CC, i don't remember), but that won't show what was purchased.

That's bullshit too. There is no law stating you need to bring your car to the dealer to maintain the warranty

They cannot do that!!!! They have to prove IN COURT reasonable dought that you did not maintain the car.

It's pretty obvious when oil has not been changed. Call your local AG's office right away.

No, they say no coverage and then you have to sue SOA and then you have to win. The attorney general would have no interest in this contractual dispute.

How did they dertermine that you needed a new engine? I can certainly understand the turbo needing to be replaced. How many miles do you have on the car? I've gone through this exact scenario. My turbo failed and SOA replaced it under warranty. I also had them do an oil change while the turbo was being replaced. 6 weeks later my engine seized because the oil was consumed. They covered the replacement of the short block as well. The $8100 they quoted you is about $500 too high.

Archived