LegacyGT.com

how bad weather our legacy can stand?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It gets below freezing here almost every night, and my car is just fine. Only issue I've had in the cold, was some battery drain causing me to lose my presets.

But, afterall, they are a winter weather vehicle you know. Us shmucks up North have to put up with that weather for what feels like an eternity.

I start my car everyday in -30 to -40 weather. It won't start if it's not plugged in, and barely starts in the really cold stuff (won't idle, won't stay running in neutral, takes forever to heat up)

These cars are fine for regular weather, but sub-arctic climates is something Subaru does not have figured out. I love the car, but sadly because of this it'll be traded for something domestic soon enough.

To answer the orginial question, although I'm not sure it's entirely serious, that kind of balmy weather is of non-consequence to your car.

If it's going to be below freezing for more than a few hours, it's recommended that you use the same procedure as the citrus farms in Florida are having to use now. Spray your car with water to form a protective coating of ice around the vehicle. This will help insulate the car and trap any residual heat, allowing the vehicle to survive a few hours longer without major damage.

In all seriousness though. It's been below freezing in NJ for two weeks straight, and if my beat-up old car with the "weak" battery (according to the Auto Zone meter) can still start, you'll be fine, lol.

Don't flame the guy, he's just uninformed.

To the OP, what makes you think you're car will have a tough time with what's otherwise considered moderate temperatures compared to alot of the country right now?

I've been running mine in the subzero F temps without any issue for some weeks now with the occasional heat wave of about 10-20 degrees F. I let it warm for about 15-20 min before driving. Your car will be just fine. Let her warm for a few minutes.

The OP has a SpecB.....nothing to worry about. Those engines are designed by NASA for use in temps.

I heard SpecB's were test driven on the moon!

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

You're in good shape even with your oil weight.. yes, if you are running regular water in the windshield wiper fluid it may freeze.. and it isn't good if it's topped up to the max. Otherwise, drive on.. have fun.. don't drive the car too hard until it is warmed up 5-10 mins later... and don't let the car sit and idle for 10 minutes.. you'll just foil your oil up with too much gas.

You're in good shape even with your oil weight.. yes, if you are running regular water in the windshield wiper fluid it may freeze.. and it isn't good if it's topped up to the max. Otherwise, drive on.. have fun.. don't drive the car too hard until it is warmed up 5-10 mins later... and don't let the car sit and idle for 10 minutes.. you'll just foil your oil up with too much gas.

Care to explain that statement?

I heard the original moon rover was really a Spec B prototype test mule.

i thought the Apollo 11 was powered by a Spec B motor:confused:

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Archived