LegacyGT.com

Turbo done! Need to buy replacement now!

Hey guys, my turbo finally went out. Im needing some help. I cannot afford an aftermarket or brand new stock replacement. So I need help on what I should do.

ANY advice is much appreciated. I'm willing to put in a low mileage used stock one, a rebuilt one, a used aftermarket one.. Anything!

ANYONE who has upgraded their turbo to an aftermarket or an STi and still has their stock one, I am very interested in buying it. Please let me know, guys. I need something done very soon, as I don't have another mode of transportation.

Thank you for your help

Sounds like you already know what you should do. Look for somebody's used VF40 (stock) turbo.

If you go for a used aftermarket turbo, you will be at the minimum looking at spending extra $$$ for a tune and upgraded oil lines (for something like a 16G or VF52). Anything bigger and aftermarket, you'd be looking at adding a pump and injectors to that as well.

If tight on cash, it seems a well functioning, used VF40 seems to be your best bet.

Search eBay, classifieds for a used turbo

Wow, what a great idea, you beat me to it.

When I needed a rear diff, that's what I did and I didn't even have to ask on this forum.

Well I really just googled "used R160 rear diff" and found what I needed.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...
I've searched ebay, found a few possibilities.. Also searched carpart.com (junkyard database) and found few too. What about buying a rebuild kit? Does anyone recommend this? I've never rebuilt a turbo, but I'm about a 6 on a scale of 1-10 on mechanical capabilities. Most importantly though, my best bud, who is helping, is about an 8 or 9. A reconditioned or low-mileage stock replacement is going to run me around $700. This rebuild kit pictured is about 300.. What you guys think?????

I'm running the BNR and if I were you, I would buy one. you aren't going to find a better turbo for the money, especially with a warranty. dont forget new oil lines and a tune though.

If your friend truly is a 9 he would know not to rebuild a turbo in the garage.

Balance is everything at over 100k rpm.

I've searched ebay, found a few possibilities.. Also searched carpart.com (junkyard database) and found few too. What about buying a rebuild kit? Does anyone recommend this? I've never rebuilt a turbo, but I'm about a 6 on a scale of 1-10 on mechanical capabilities. Most importantly though, my best bud, who is helping, is about an 8 or 9. A reconditioned or low-mileage stock replacement is going to run me around $700. This rebuild kit pictured is about 300.. What you guys think?????

If you enjoy the car, put that 300 towards a new turbo. I'm very happy with the vf52. I got mine from Mike at http://www.AZPinstalls.com, I had it the next next.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived