LegacyGT.com

It's quite simple to disable the AWD system by installing the fuse as stated in the manual, which would essentially turn the Subaru into a front wheel drive. Wouldn't this give the car much better gas mileage? Could any damage result from disabling the AWD?

Just curious...

are you really just curious or regretting you got AWD?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

No fuel economy gains.

If the gas mileage bothers you, you should have bought a more efficient car.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

It's quite simple to disable the AWD system by installing the fuse as stated in the manual, which would essentially turn the Subaru into a front wheel drive. Wouldn't this give the car much better gas mileage? Could any damage result from disabling the AWD?

Just curious...

That wouldn't be a very "Cool Legacy" if you did that :lol:

Seriously curious! Love the AWD but if possible to turn it off in the summer months for improved gas mileage (4.55 gallon where I live) it would be nice. I'm sure it's not that easy though.

This will not save you money in fuel, you will get better mileage by NOT stomping on the gas at the stop light and making sure you have a clean air filter. Why would you detract from the abilities of the vehicle in this manner? Just practice better driving habits :)

OMG my friend drives 85 miles in his 07 FJ and uses 2.3 gallons of gas going uphill! he drafts trucks and goes 55mph, yup the fuel needle barley moves:lol: crazy. Yea the FJ is loaded w/ crap and has bigger "off road" tires. It takes me a quarter tank going the same way when I fly by people at 75

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

You can DEFINITELY make a 5eat RWD or FWD. Frank_ster has done the modification to even do RWD/4WD with a switch. If you want to do strictly RWD or FWD, you can remove the opposing drive shaft (there is a shaft going from center diff to front diff, or there's the obvious rear diff, and while you're there remove differential and axles) as well. You might need to weld the center diff, or you might get away with wiring the Transfer clutch solenoid to be on constantly with Ign power. Then disable P0700 code, etc. I could figure it out by looking a little, or otherwise Frank_ster could just tell you because he has given it some thought. FWD would be easier because you would not need to remove the transmission. Just the tail housing, where the center diff lives.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

so # 1 as i said before the fuse to disable awd is only related to the 4 eat

the 4 eat ( 4 speed automatic )is a mechanical front wheel drive trans mission with a add on with a clutch to the rear wheels .

when the car is at cruse or in neutral park or engine off its a front wheel drive car.

on a 4 eat you can easily remove the drive shaft and rear axles / differential. to become front wheel drive car.

the 5 eat ( 5 speed automatic ) has a center differential with a locking clutch.

( 4eat only has a "transfer clutch " )

the fuse does not work with the 5 eat

again fuel economy will not gain in either case

i have a 2.5I and a 2.5gt the 2.5i manual is amazing on gas ! city and even better on gas. comparable to a accord

the 2.5gt is decent highway mpg but terrible city mpg partially because the weight of the car but i believe its more to do with the exhaust restriction of the small turbo.

of witch i'm working with climber d to see how well a exhaust bypass works.

i have seen 4 eat converted to rear wheel drive / 4 wheel drive . witch helps with the play factor and i am doing the same with my 5 eat. witch i have a thread about. somewhere .. i think

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

If you remove the axles, the wheels will fall off.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I've never even given it a thought until now... The hub doesn't hold on the wheel? Lug nuts? Thought the half shafts just transfered rotational power from the differentials to the hubs...

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I've never even given it a thought until now... The hub doesn't hold on the wheel? Lug nuts? Thought the half shafts just transfered rotational power from the differentials to the hubs...

The axle nut is the only thing preventing the hub from pulling out of the bearing. No axle nut, and the hub can, and will, vibrate itself out. And there goes the wheel!

The stub sandwiches the bearing between the carrier (that bolts to the knuckle) and the hub.

It was worse on the older cars that didn't have the bolt in housings. Those wheels would fall off after a few hundred yards, and the bearings would be ruined after a few dozen feet.

i am aware .. but you just put a bolt in it with the right size washers

we use front wheel drive hubs and knuckles for trailers and such all the time.

Technically, no Subaru outside the STi is more than 3 wheel drive, and if you are unlucky enough to not have a rear LSD, then the best you can do is 2wd anyway.

i am aware .. but you just put a bolt in it with the right size washers

we use front wheel drive hubs and knuckles for trailers and such all the time.

I know that YOU know. But how many normal people would have put those two things together?

I typically disassemble the CV and just use the outer cup and axle nut to hold everything together. That's what I did when I converted my old car to RWD for a while.

Take either your front wheels or rear wheels off...that will literally make it TWO WHEEL drive...unless you wanted only one wheel drive then take off three wheels. Simple math...

Kind of like the any number to the 0 power =1

are you serious ?

if you remove random wheels on a typical awd you will damage the center differential

Archived