LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT brakes on Outback XT

cmraman

I am in the process of doing a Legacy GT front brake swap on my Outback XT, which includes brackets, rotors, pads, and upgraded brake lines. I have seen threads here on this, but I have not seen any info on the master cylinder for the swap. Can the master cylinder on my XT handle the larger rotors and calipers? If you have done this swap, how does it compare to the stock setup?

Thanks in advance for your input.

• 11 months later...

Did you swap out the calipers, too? I upgraded by Spec B with a Mach V upgrade kit - so now I've got an "extra" set of LGT pads and rotors for all the corners. Do I need to get new calipers as well?

Sorry - forgot to mention the details. The parts came off an 07 LGT/Spec B and are to go onto an 08 OBW, H6.

Did you swap out the calipers, too? I upgraded by Spec B with a Mach V upgrade kit - so now I've got an "extra" set of LGT pads and rotors for all the corners. Do I need to get new calipers as well?

Sorry - forgot to mention the details. The parts came off an 07 LGT/Spec B and are to go onto an 08 OBW, H6.

Yes, you would need to get new LGT calipers as well. The LGT pads and rotors will NOT work with your Outback calipers.

Not all is lost though, if you do some junkyard sluthing you might be able to find some LGT calipers for cheap. <---This is what I did.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

• 3 months later...

Forgive my resurrecting this 4 month old thread, but

When upgrading from the OBXT calipers (and corresponding rotors and pads) to the LGT ones, do you need any sort of mounting bracket from the LGT or will my stock OBXT one work?

And also, does anyone have a list of the fittings needed to the hard line and to the caliper so I can make my own aeroquip (SS braided) brake lines for the new calipers?

It bolts right up. The bracket that is on the car will work for either caliper...

As far as fittings, I have no idea. You could just use an LGT set of lines...

Thanks for the info praedet!

Regarding the lines, would I need the LGT lines? As in, would my stock outback lines not work?

The Outback ones might, I thought you were talking about going to stainless lines. If you switch, get LGT lines

^+1....if you're going to replace the calipers, you might as well go w/SS lines (LGT fitment) and ATE - not much more work while the calipers are out.

I agree, I just wanted to save a little cash and make them (the lines) myself. Sometimes the fittings are so expensive though that it's not worth it

I already have a couple cans of ATE blue and am ordering a couple rebuild kits right now so I can rebuild the calipers before putting them on

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update:

I've had the LGT front brakes on my car for a week or so now. I rebuilt the calipers using the kit from rockauto, went fine. Painted the calipers silver, they look great. Stops well, looks oversized now instead of undersized. All I had around was the ATE super blue, system bled surprisingly quick. Car really needed a brake fluid flush the pedal feels much better now too

• 3 months later...

Guys, the LGT lines on an OBXT ARE NO GOOD. They are too short. They may fit but under full downward travel you may wind up yanking them out of the fittings due to the length of the LGT lines being shorter. If you are retaining the OBXT ride-height you will want to also retain your stock OBXT lines.

-mike

Where did you get your LGT rotors from AndrewZ?

I'll answer my own question for you. hehe I thought I asked you this before ;)

I was able to buy them through this forum from a vendor who had a spare set lying around. I've seen some other members in the market place who've put theirs up for sale before. I used rebuild kits from rock auto. There wasn't any real reason to rebuild them other than they were already off the car.

Archived