LegacyGT.com

new shifter bushings...still wobbles?!

rcruz17

so today i installed new shifter bushings on my 05 lgt and my shifter still wobbles!! I do notice I slight firmness while shifter like now it just goes straight it but the shifter still has a lot of noticeable play.

its a stock shifter didnt have lock ring pliers to install SS so its untouched.

The play is not coming from the 12mm bolt that attaches to the Shifter that is solid I actually notice it moving more from the bottom could it be that white plastic assembly where my shifter sits in that is worn out?

I know there's a nylon bearing on the shifter, is it that ?

I seem to recall the outter case of the shifter bolts hard to the tranny. It's been a couple years since I've been there.

I seem to recall two bolts. make sure both are tight.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Adding to Max's list... there is a u-joint in the shifter linkage under the car that can loosen up.

When I replaced my shifter, I noticed that some slop was actually where the little roll-pin goes through the u-joint to attach to the transmission selector rod. The roll pin itself was fine, but holes it passes through in the u-joint were wearing oblong and had a bit of play. Replacing the u-joint (dealer part) tightened that up.

Try to wiggle the linkage around and observe everything for play.

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

ok I got under the car and noticed that U-joint its wobbling around the pin that goes thru it doesnt look like fun to change im having a hard time even finding it listed on any websites or even a part number.

Dealer part # is 35046AG000

The roll pin holding it to the trans shifter rod is actually two - a smaller one inside of a larger one. You can find something the side of the smaller one and tap it out with a hammer. Then tap out the larger one with a slightly larger drift (mine was pretty tight). The other side is a bolt/nut.

I did mine with the trans on the bench. Probably more challenging with everything in place :(

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Archived