LegacyGT.com

Michelin Pilot Super Sport review

robinlsb

Just tossed on a set of these. Best Subie tire since the GY F1 GS-D3 and the slip angle is tons less.

Last tire was the Conti DW, but it beats the Conti hands down in terms of steering response.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

• 2 weeks later...

It is a good light weight tire. I've owned a set on another car.

The response was not as good as the RE050A, but the SS is a few pounds lighter.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

It is a good light weight tire. I've owned a set on another car.

The response was not as good as the RE050A, but the SS is a few pounds lighter.

The GSD3's were the heaviest tires I have ever put on a car. :eek: Maybe I will try the RE's next time. I tend to be rough on summer tires;)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Since you have enough power with your turbo, I guess weight would not be too much of a factor.

My experience with the SS and RE050A was on a G35 coupe 6MT only. If I had to get another set, I would have tried the RE-11.

The SS is a good choice and has good wear.

My "legacy" tire choice was the DW for weight since my engine is NA.

Cheers!

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

Since you have enough power with your turbo, I guess weight would not be too much of a factor.

My experience with the SS and RE050A was on a G35 coupe 6MT only. If I had to get another set, I would have tried the RE-11.

The SS is a good choice and has good wear.

My "legacy" tire choice was the DW for weight since my engine is NA.

Cheers!

unsprung weight is a big factor in cornering:)

pilot SS's are over rated for the price. Dunlop star specs will perform better in every scenario and cost less. same goes for any other Extreme performance summer you find on tirerack.com

Pilot SS is NOT extreme performance:lol: The Star Specs will wear out in one summer.

because noise is a primary concern when shopping for high grip summers. :rolleyes:

Well it very well might be to someone that is using the tire year round and not necesarily for AutoX, just wanting a very grippy all around tire. That's why I got them, great in the canyons, or a 1000mi road trip, so yeah, to me that matters.

Both of your links rated the Michelin the best tire, and Tire rack tests said the same thing. That is why I have tried them. :)

You made a good tire choice...stay happy

• 2 weeks later...
Just replaced a set of F1 GS-D3s with Super Sports. Can't comment on ultimate grip 'cause I don't push my wagon hard. The Michelins are less jarring over expansion joints or rough roads, but the Goodyears were close to 5 years old when they were replaced so perhaps age is the reason behind the comfort difference.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B][I]"Sweep the leg!" - Sensei Kreese, Karate Kid [/I][/B][/FONT]

Archived