LegacyGT.com

2.5GT Turbo Oil Supply Banjo Bolt Filter Removal

I did the removal of the Banjo bolt filter today. I went thru the post here and the floss string works very well when trying to get the copper O ring in.

With 58,607 miles on the car and being second owner. The filter was spotless, clean as a whistle. Nevertheless, I took it out anyways.

And Rao was right. Right after I finished the job. I was indeed better looking and richer :lol:

Incase anyone needs the part numbers. Here's my thread on it.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/banjo-bolt-part-176866.html?p=3686343#post3686343

I have no control over drippie.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

has anyone swapped the banjos/filters to the other end of the hard lines, installing them in the AVCS solenoids rather than the heads? i've got everything torn down for a turbo replacement/timing belt/etc. right now so its all really easy to get to. i'm installing a filtered turbo feed line out of the block gallery, so the banjo filter is a non-issue as far as that goes. but i figured it was designed for the AVCS as much as for the turbo, seeing as there is one on the other side of the engine. this way, the AVCS's still get filtered (for those who care), but the filters are right on top so as to be inspected/cleaned easily. the only difference is the oil would go from the outside of the filter in, rather than inside-out, but that shouldn't be a problem. maybe this has already been addressed somewhere in the last 54 pages, maybe not. either way, it might give someone something to think/worry/complain about.

has anyone swapped the banjos/filters to the other end of the hard lines, installing them in the AVCS solenoids rather than the heads? i've got everything torn down for a turbo replacement/timing belt/etc. right now so its all really easy to get to. i'm installing a filtered turbo feed line out of the block gallery, so the banjo filter is a non-issue as far as that goes. but i figured it was designed for the AVCS as much as for the turbo, seeing as there is one on the other side of the engine. this way, the AVCS's still get filtered (for those who care), but the filters are right on top so as to be inspected/cleaned easily. the only difference is the oil would go from the outside of the filter in, rather than inside-out, but that shouldn't be a problem. maybe this has already been addressed somewhere in the last 54 pages, maybe not. either way, it might give someone something to think/worry/complain about.

the AVCS banjo bolt is bigger than the turbo banjo bolt.

the AVCS banjo bolt is bigger than the turbo banjo bolt.

Not really. The thread pitch, length, oil feed opening is the same. The only difference is, the AVCS bolt head is flat while the Banjo bolt has a, I'm not sure how you describe it other than a "nipple" on the head itself.

And dem boobies in your avatar :wub:

I have no control over drippie.

Not really. The thread pitch, length, oil feed opening is the same. The only difference is, the AVCS bolt head is flat while the Banjo bolt has a, I'm not sure how you describe it other than a "nipple" on the head itself.

yeah, they are interchangeable. i've already swapped mine, so now my AVCS banjos have "nipples". but only two, not three. that would be weird.

So I checked mine yesterday. Filter looked good after 80k just a few specs of material lodged in there. I cleaned it and reinstalled it. OCIs are every 3k miles with amsoil. Tried to do the AVCS on driver's side and decided to wait until timing belt replacement.

From beginning to end it took me an 1 and 1/2 hours. Mostly because of a bunged up thread and testing and adjusting my wastegate actuator.

Tips that worked for me:

1. with my upgraded turbo I had to remove my wastegate actuator

2. the stubby wrench was very helpful

3. I used fishing line to dangle the crush washer next to the block

4. It helped me to take a step back a couple of times because my hands were in weird positions and I was getting frustrated trying to break loose the banjo bolt.

For reference the subaru part numbers:

the bolt is 14445AA090

the crush washer is 803912040 which are sold individually(2 or more)

also the driver's side AVCS pictures and steps are on page 11 of this thread http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2-5gt-turbo-oil-supply-banjo-bolt-filter-removal-61689p11.html

Good luck all

Jon

papajon - no joy finding the AVCS pictures/setup. Seems like a noob fail on my part so a link to the actual post would be helpful. :redface:
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I finally got around to pulling both of the Banjo filter bolts. The turbo one was about 50% plugged. And the driverside VVT unit was 25% plugged.

Pic. of turbo Banjo filter. Over 73k on my GT

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/0812072233.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/0812072235.jpg

I stated this earlier.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1163627&postcount=44

But change my mind. Do to my oil\filter change history. I put new filter bolts in to see if the clogging took place more in the frist 30k Mobil1\Fram or the last 43k, using Amsoil oil\filer.

The driverside Banjo filter bolt is right behind the top cam pully cover.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/0813071900a.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/0813071900.jpg

To remove this bolt. You have two options. 1) Pull everything of the front driverside of the motor to pull that cam pulley. So you can remove the rear cam belt cover. To have room the remove the banjo filter bolt.

2) This is what I came up with to service this bolt, without doing #1 above. Need to remove the AC bracket by the oil dipstick, unbolt the dipstick ( if you choose to remove the dipstick for more room. Put a oil drain pan to catch the oil that will leak out of the dipstick tude.) To make room for a cut tool ( I use a dremal with pen attachment & 1\8 in. milling bit.) To remove the tit off the head of the banjo bolt. Then using 17mm wrench to break it free. Unbolt the other end of the VVT oil supply line. Now the fun begains. Once the filter bolt broken free. Than take a old 17mm box end wrench & grind it down to 3\16 thick & unscrew. Use a pry bar to move back the rear cam belt cover. Remove filter bolt & line together. Clean up the head of the bolt. I ground it down between 1\8"- 3\16".

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/0815071950.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/0815072338.jpg

Mike

here you go SBT

This would be me:p:). 2 microns filtration, 15k OCI, Cobbs stage 1 93 tune, 16.2 psi. of max boost & 169k+miles on the original motor & turbo. Took the original ones out at 73k. Another 4k I will have 100k on this set of banjo filter bolts. Then I will inspect & if all is fine. I will leave them out. If I have crap in them. I but new ones in & change them out every 100k.

Mike

Update, back is Sept.2011, at 174k, I recheck my banjo filter bolts. After 100k on just Amsoil 0w-30 SSO & Ea oil filters. Both banjo filter bolts was clean. So I remove both filters from the banjo bolts & reinstalled with new washers. There was no shaft play on my original VF-40 turbo.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

For all the guys who used this thread to replace their banjo bolt filter, I created a thread with a poll asking how often one should inspect and/or replace it. I thought it'd be nice that you'll vote on it to help people in the future. I hope that thread will be helpful.

P.S: some have mentioned that I should have had 'remove it completely' as part of the poll's options. But unfortunately, I can no longer modify the poll content.

Edited by xt2005bonbon

Hey guys,excuse my ignorance since well I've only owned my car for just over a week but I want to check this bolt. My question is has anyone ever tried to get to it from underneath? Would it even be possible or is there basically just this one way to get it out?

Think there would be too many blocking things in the way, turbo, up-pipe, car frame, turbo inlet hose, etc. to get to it from underneath.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I just went to work and replaced it (had already bought a replacement beforehand). No pics yet but its an 05 with 87xxx miles on it and I was impressed,it was literally 99% clean. I was just nervous after reading everything here. The previous two owners had literally everything done at the dealer (including all but 2 oil changes) and I have the entire work history printed out. Edited by Justin case

I just went to work and replaced it (had already bought a replacement beforehand). No pics yet but its an 05 with 87xxx miles on it and I was impressed,it was literally 99% clean. I was just nervous after reading everything here. The previous two owners had literally everything done at the dealer (including all but 2 oil changes) and I have the entire work history printed out.

that's good news.

Well I got around to removing mine tonight and it had several magnetic shavings in it. I hope this is normal. I expected some sludge but this had some pretty good fragments of metal in it.

On a side note, Im still dismantling my Version 8 motor but out of curiosity I took off the turbo banjo bolt on that and it in fact has the filters in it as well! This is a MY 03 JDM motor but still utilized the banjo bolt filters. Interesting Id say and something to be aware of. Those motors arnt exactly known for blowing turbos via oil deprivation but the culprit filters are still found in them.

It seems normal to find small amounts of steel shavings in that filter, mine had a few and is still going strong 15,000km after pulling the filter. I think it's just swarf from production processes.

I think the VF-40 and 46 turbos are just particularly cheap and nasty. The bearing housings are smaller and turbine shafts much skinnier than the other OEM turbos used on EJ series engines.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.