LegacyGT.com

Rust Along Windshield?

Hey Guys - just detailed the car last weekend and started to notice some rust forming along where the roof meets the windshield. I need to get this fixed ASAP as I have heard horror stories of letting it go. I am in the process of getting some quotes from local shops here in Cincinnati, OH but wanted to see if anyone has had this issue before and what did it cost? A lot easier to negotiate if I have a bearing on what the costs really should be!

To do it right, $15-1800. Winshield has to come out. I had the whole roof repainted. I also had the the new 3M spray on chip guard done to the A pillars and roof leading 12". Had them replace the harness in the rear gate too. Wagon.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Wow that seems like a lot to just do around the windshield, or are you having the roof painted too ? I had my buddies resto/body shop strip the roof on the wagon. That involves dropping the head liner and removing the rails, I had them painted also.

I guess I got a good deal. It guess it pays to be a good customer. I've spent way to much money there over the years. LOL

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Yeah my estimate includes the repaint as well as a a new bumper being painted and taking out a few dents. Overall, I think it's a tad expensive because it's a nicer shop but I am willing to pay for the quality of work that I've seen them do in the past

As long as you know there history, quality is worth paying for. That's why I go to my buddies shop. They won't do crappy paint jobs.

I have the same problem myself they blamed it on the last owner that had the windshield not done correctly. My estimate came in at 300 and only if the windshield cracked while pulling it out it would 600$+. But this is not a full roof paint just up to the middle of the sunroof so they can blend it

Definitely could be - I bought the car off someone about a year ago and the rusting and bubbling paint was not visible then...I've been cleaning up and rebuilding the car ever since! So I am hoping when we get the windshield out and start fixing up the rust we don't find it's widespread

• 3 months later...

Sort of a thread bump, but I have the problem with windshield rust too. I've had the car for about 6 years and no windshield was replaced during that time.

I also noticed a dot of rust just behind the rear door window on each side and a little bit of rust on the rear emergency brake drum. I've had lots of cars in Colorado and never had one rust like this.

Rust on the brake rotors is common with any car. I normally paint my rotors in the spring time.

Rust by the back doors for a 10 y/o car normal too. Look at other 10y/o cars and trucks.

You need to keep after the paint now that's its getting older. Like all of us, as we age we need more up keep.

Sort of a thread bump, but I have the problem with windshield rust too. I've had the car for about 6 years and no windshield was replaced during that time.

I also noticed a dot of rust just behind the rear door window on each side and a little bit of rust on the rear emergency brake drum. I've had lots of cars in Colorado and never had one rust like this.

Well I ended up selling the car, but I did have the rust fixed. The shop I took it to said the windshield had never been replaced and everything looked normal. I know Subaru paint can be very thin, so I wonder if that could be part of the problem.

• 1 year later...

Revive on an old thread.

Started bubbling rust in upper corners of the windshield area. I have had two windshields put in in 283K.

Last one was done in 2010.

So I pulled the windshield this weekend and rust/paint just peeled off with the adhesive under the windshield.

Good news is that once sanded etc and painted it should be fine. It has not damaged the integrity of the metal strength.

Really good body shop that had fixed my wifes van a few years ago said they would fix it for $400

Word to the wise if you see bubbles around the windshield get it out ASAP so it doesn't ruin the windshield adhesive sealing lip.

I am guessing it was scratched up when the second windshield was put in and not primed like the windshield guys are supposed to do. We saw no evidence of primer or anything once we go it out.

Make sure if your windshield is replaced that you watch them for priming the scratches when they scrape the old adhesive off if it gets through the paint.

Anyway really glad I decided I better get it out of there......

• 8 months later...

Got to watch those stone chips. Remember to look for other area's on the car where stone chips happen.

When you wash the car, by hand, and dry it, you'll notice all kinds of chips and things.

If you keep on top of them you can stop most rust from happening.

Check the bottom of the passenger side doors too, get on your back and look up at the door skin.

Archived