LegacyGT.com

a giant "duh" on SRS/WOW

RustyShackleford

Starting a new thread to catch any people like me ...

So last spring I went through all the agony of getting a Subaru dealer

to sell me an '07 radio, for $500 or so, so I could get aux-in in my

dual-climate car. Re-wired I85, you know the story. (Too bad I did

not foresee the recent solution involving part from Japan).

Came back to the forum after few months, and, moments ago, I learned

that you have to ENABLE the SRS/WOW function. I'd never done it.

What a moron. Although I'm not sure how I was supposed to know ...

Anyhow, you press the AUDIO button down for several seconds, and a

big dot appears on the display. It sounds good. It appears to affect

all channels at once (CD/AUX/AMFM) - that is, you can't have it "on"

for some inputs and "off" for others.

It was an option. I didn't think I had a use for it since I never leave CDs in the car overnight (too hot/cold), and there is no way I am going to load/unload all those discs every time I drive the car. I didn't know there were other features that I missed out on :mad:

...but usually I'm listening to the originals and I'm just anal about my CDs. :redface:

I'm anal about my CDs too. THAT's why I ONLY run dupes in the car.

No worries about theft, damage from them getting too hot, or not being

able to find one in my house when I want it !

Of course, what I really run in the car is MP3s burned into CD media

(easy with iTunes, which I understand is also available under Windows

now). And long-term, if I ever do the mod which allows you to

put a standard DIN (or double DIN) unit in the car (instead I paid

$500 for a '07 HU, woe is me), I will just put the MP3s onto thumb-drives

or a hard-drive, and be done with mobile media once and for all.

Ideally I would like to rip my music to my MP3 player and use that in the car, but I have to run both the player's amp and the car amp at 75-80% volume to achieve a decent sound level -- not good for a prolonged period. (And I think this brings us full-circle back to the thread this one branched off)

I will burn MP3s on CD-Rs if I have a few albums which are part of a set. For instance, I have a CD-R containing the three Trans-Siberian Orchestra Christmas albums which is about all I listen to in the car from Thanksgiving to Christmas.

Maybe your MP3 ripper is screwing up the volume somehow. Use a volume normalizer like MP3GAIN to see if that's the case, and it will correct the volume without re-encoding.

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

For that matter, it's a good way to get the tracks to sound "similar" in volume on a mixed-track setup... or for "audiophiles" who want to preserve track-to-track dynamics, you can use album-normalization to raise them all properly, while keeping the deviations similar between tracks...

Do u have a SRS/WOW button? If not then it will not work. Printed on the head unit says SRS/WOW if you dont have it printed on the head unit then you wont have the SRS/WOW feature. The button that you press will have SRS over top of it and if it works on the screen will show a dot with a wave off of each side.

1104091601a.thumb.jpg.adae623a1f96686f7042b2751955fdc6.jpg

Maybe your MP3 ripper is screwing up the volume somehow. Use a volume normalizer like MP3GAIN to see if that's the case, and it will correct the volume without re-encoding.

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

For that matter, it's a good way to get the tracks to sound "similar" in volume on a mixed-track setup... or for "audiophiles" who want to preserve track-to-track dynamics, you can use album-normalization to raise them all properly, while keeping the deviations similar between tracks...

+1 this is a good idea, though I have no experience with the specific software mentioned. This will make your tracks sound better whether you have SRS/WOW or not.

+1 this is a good idea, though I have no experience with the specific software mentioned. This will make your tracks sound better whether you have SRS/WOW or not.

I do this to all my tracks, to ensure that they all are of similar volume. It's not perfect, but it works pretty well... and ensures you're not dealing with a low-volume MP3.

Well... it's different, and less accurate to the source material, but whether it's better is all up to individual preference.

Yeah. I actually don't like it all that much. It does seem to give a richer, fuller feeling of being immersed in the music (i.e. surround sound) but it REALLY cranks up the bass way beyond what I like. And you can't just dial down the bass either it doesn't sound right. Too bad. I was pretty excited about this feature.

Hanslo

Archived