LegacyGT.com

lowering springs recommendations/suggestions please

teducci

feels like its on rails with stock struts???

I'd call it a noticable improvement and great for a daily driver but I personally wouldn't quite go as far as saying it corners like it's on rails. I already had cobb anti-sway bars but I still noticed an uptick in cornering performance and I definitely noticed a significant improvement in squat and dive reduction. I think it's a great modest suspension upgrade.

Hanslo

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For anyone interested here is the info on the ground control bumpstops:

Foam bump stop ($12.00ea) (bumpstop)

size and stiffness: soft strut

Ground Control Suspension Systems

3885 Dividend Dr

Shingle Springs, CA 95682

530-677-8600 9-5 PST

mark@ground-control.com

http://www.ground-control-store.com

This is an email I wrote about cutting them:

> I have a question regarding your soft progressive strut bump stops. I have a 2007 Subaru Legacy GT. I plan to install Eibach pro springs over stock struts/shocks. The LGT front struts have about 7cm available bump travel, 6cm of which includes the stock bump stop (jouncer). The Eibach springs will lower the front of the car by ~2.5cm meaning the stock bumpstops will be compressed a full 1.5cm at rest. Your strut bumpstops are appx 5cm so even though they are shorter they will still be compressed about 1/2cm at rest.

> What is your advice about cutting the ground-control bumpstops? I am thinking about cutting off the bottom progression and keeping the top conical and mid flared-out sections resulting in a bumpstop appx 3.5cm. Could you please explain why you would or would not recommend cutting the bumpstop?

> Sincere thanks,

and the reply from GC:

No problem,

Cutting any bumpstop is common practice to gain lost bump travel. The key is not to cut so much that they will be ineffective. We suggest cutting the bottom portion of the progressive bumpstops if the car is lowered enough for it to be advantageous. Cutting the bumpstop too short will result in another component becoming the limiting factor, usually the spring which will coil bind and quickly ruin the spring, or in extreme cases the piston of the damper itself can be destroyed by plummeting to the bottom of the damper body.

Mark

Ya. The car barely leans at all. It's sooo much faster in the corners. And for just springs you can't complain at all. I recommend these springs for sure. I think it's the beginning of this thread where bosco swears by this setup. He has had coilovers. Pinks on bilsteins. Etc. He likes eibach on stocks for the perfect dd. I completely agree

Yeah, this thread including Bosco's comments was one of the main reasons I chose this setup.

Just got mine in the mail... going to be a few weeks before I install. Going on stock struts as well. Switching from slammed MR coilovers.

Epic engineering! Just installed mine on stock shocks… They are awesome! Perfect lowering, corners so much better, and ride quality is only a tiny bit worse… Ill take pics when it settles :)

I had Epics on my car for a few weeks on stock strut. The ride is great, improve handling and slight drop. I couldn't even tell that the ride comfort had decreased.

Then I got some Megan Coils, ride was decent for coilovers, but not my thing.

I just got some Swift Springs on stock strut. The ride is pretty good, and I like the height. Pretty happy with them for now :)

Well… During the 5 days or so I have had them on they have made this creaking noise over bumps, the noise come mostly when the suspension gets slightly unloaded… Only from the rears, and mostly from the passenger side... :( … Just took off the rear wheels again today and checked everything, made sure everything was nice and tight, and that the springs were sitting nicely after the break in period (5 days about 500 miles :] ) ….

Any advice people?

Thanks!

Edited by PlaxPhoto
:(

Well… During the 5 days or so I have had them on they have made this creaking noise over bumps, the noise come mostly when the suspension gets slightly unloaded… Only from the rears, and mostly from the passenger side... :( … Just took off the rear wheels again today and checked everything, made sure everything was nice and tight, and that the springs were sitting nicely after the break in period (5 days about 500 miles :] ) ….

Any advice people?

Thanks!

I have the same creak from the rears. Epics on Konis. I had no creak from the Cobb springs that were on before these which I removed because they were too low with 18" wheels.

I notice the creak most at low speeds, especially noticeable on driveways and bumpy parking lots. Same as you, it is most noticeable at unload. I could initially recreate the sound by putting body weight on the trunk sill and releasing the weight. The noise seems less noticeable after dialing the Konis to full firm but the ride is pretty stiff. I am planning on having ECS Performance taking a look at the setup soon. I'll definitely post up if we can find and fix the problem.

Any advice people?

Thanks!

Same thing happened to me. I had the bushings on my cobb sway bars greased and the squeaking disappeared for a few weeks. It is slowly coming back. I may have to have them re-seated and maybe even upgrade the endlinks.

I had Epics on my car for a few weeks on stock strut. The ride is great, improve handling and slight drop. I couldn't even tell that the ride comfort had decreased.

Then I got some Megan Coils, ride was decent for coilovers, but not my thing.

I just got some Swift Springs on stock strut. The ride is pretty good, and I like the height. Pretty happy with them for now :)

Why did you get rid of the Epics? Not low enough? And what was it with the Megans that made you switch them out? What's the difference in ride, handling and stance between the Epics and Swifts?

The Epics isn't low enough for me. The reason I switch out the Megans is because I didn't like the stiffness. Its too stiff for me for everyday driving. For the ride, the Epics feels like stock, and just feels a bit stiffer then stock. For the Swifts, I can feel the road more, but its still pretty decent for the ride. Handling is more stiff on the Swifts, but not as stiff as my coilovers. And for the stance, the Swifts looks more slam, around 1.5 finger gap, but I have to double check, compared to the Epics, they don't look like much of a drop.

Hey guys looking for something with a bilstein strut and a spring that doesnt lower more then an inch but stiffer then stock for a better handeling ride, any sugestions?

I went with the Rallitek Swaybar (rear only) Eibach Springs and Bilstiens. I like the setup a lot for a daily drive. Greatly improved roll/squat without giving up anything noticable in ride. Understeer reduced to more neutral cornering. I'm sure ther are better setups if you really want to get everything you can out of the car but this is the best compromise for me. Resulting ride height with 1/2 plus 3/8 spacers was about where the car was when I bought it with stock suspension which is slightly lower than spec. See my earlier posts in this thread for more details. Just keep in mind you need different top hats for the front and spacers in the rear to make this work.

Hey guys looking for something with a bilstein strut and a spring that doesnt lower more then an inch but stiffer then stock for a better handeling ride, any sugestions?

+1 for eibachs (we have them on our sedan with koni yellows). With a wagon you'll have to space the rears up to take car of the sagging issue (I think you have to do that with everything except swifts, which are a lot lower), but they are a good ride/handling compromise.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure if the 2.5i and the GT have the same struts but I ran Cobb springs which are very low and pretty stiff for a year and a half before switching to Konis. Even then, they weren't blown, they just couldn't match the spring rates so they were a bad combo.

I'm not sure if the 2.5i and the GT have the same struts but I ran Cobb springs which are very low and pretty stiff for a year and a half before switching to Konis. Even then, they weren't blown, they just couldn't match the spring rates so they were a bad combo.

2.5i and 2.5GT and 3.0 R All have the same suspension only the Spec B and JDM Legacies differ.

Question for my own records Where can you find Eibach Springs? I want to replace my stock suspension with new Stock struts/shocks and different springs to lower it slightly.

But I am open to Blistens or H-Techs and stock Struts?

Will stock struts match up with H-Techs rate wise ???