LegacyGT.com

Extremely annoying rear end clunk

Hey guys, I've been trying to diagnose this extremely annoying clunk coming from my rear passenger side for 2 weeks. It's most noticeable around 25-35.I checked brakes to see if maybe something was seized or that the parking brake was stuck, but no dice. I'm completely stumped. Any ideas?

Any suspension mods?

Check endlinks, sway bar bushings/brackets, struts, top hats, etc.

Lowering springs, but nothing other than that. I've checked everything over and I'm starting to just thing maybe it's a wheel bearing now. Though when the last one went bad it didn't sound like this.

I also started to think about the axle itself. How often do the rears go out?

Lowering springs take down strut life immensely. I've personally had struts that made no noise go bad in 2k miles after lowering car. I would consider Koni inserts with any lowering spring...I'd do top hats while things are apart.

Wheel bearing wouldn't clunk...it would whine and get louder with speed regardless of terrain. If you put the car in the air and wiggle the wheel it should have no play. If it rocks around your bearings are shot.

Lowering springs, but nothing other than that. I've checked everything over and I'm starting to just thing maybe it's a wheel bearing now. Though when the last one went bad it didn't sound like this.

I also started to think about the axle itself. How often do the rears go out?

Check to make sure that the spring isn't rotating in the perch.

:yeahthat:

Sway bar mounts are fine actually.

I haven't really got to mess with it in the past few days because of the rain, but as soon as it let's up ill check the spring, But it actually doesn't really make noise on bumps. It's more of a constant noise like the tire is rubbing/slapping off of something. But again, I've checked and there's nothing hitting it. So it has to be something with moving parts.

Usually I'm good at figuring out what's making noise. I even thought maybe it was a bent wheel, so I rotated tires and it's still there.

Archived