LegacyGT.com

WTF is this hole?!?!

teK--

I noticed this hole in the passenger side (RHD) C pillar today when I was putting something in the boot. Looking at the edges it's very smooth and it appears that the paint goes right into the hole. There is no rust.

Does anyone else have this hole or know what it's for?

It's an MY04 Liberty (Legacy) sedan with sunroof.

15102009079.thumb.jpg.3ce333dbb933e913a0d684a9389940c3.jpg

I've had the car for about 5 months never noticed it until now. I just took the C pillar interior trim off and have found that the hole goes right through the panel and into the C pillar cavity (where the curtain airbag module is stored!!!).

It cannot possibly be a normal hole; perhaps some type of manufacturing defect? It does not look like the hole was drilled aftermarket it is not perfectly round more like an oval shape with straight sides.

I have sealed it with some tape on the outside for now. It is not easy to access the hole from the inside; would the easiest way be to seal it from the outside using a blob of touchup paint?

I think some water would have leaked in, but probably not a lot since rainwater would tend to flow down into that black plastic ridge. The metal enclosure that forms part of the curtain airbag module has some surface rust on it. I presume this is the propellant canister or something.

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to seal the hole up? I can't easily get to the hole from the inside due to the airbag module being in the way.

That is crazy!

I would fill it up with a little bondo, and the repaint the edge. No one will ever notice! First put some metal tape on the inside to over the hole so the bondo does not go through.

X

---

Archived