LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

Just picked my car up on tues with the fresh 6-speed swap. Thanks for your help Mike. This thread and your advise really help me out.

FYI: I'm running the 5-speed NSS and the cruise control doesn't work, however I still need to confirm a few other things. IIRC you're running the 6-speed NSS with some modification correct? Does your cruise work?

clutch,

After you check everything out. Does your cruise control turn on & don't "SET"? If so take your gt for a ride. Keep the car above 30mph, put it in "N" & see if you can get your cruise control to "SET". If your cruise control "SET" in "N". You have the 6MT's NSS installed. That's what mind did. I just left the 6MT's NSS in the transaxle, collapse the 5MT's NSS & wired it in. And it works. The 6MT's NSS is right on top the transaxle. You need to almost drop the tranaxle out to change that switch,or remove the tail housing. By just wiring the 5MT's NSS in. You will get a 851 code (low voltage in NSS detected), every once in a why'll. My APv2 is hooked-up all the time. I use it to clear the code. I have over 22k on my swap. This is the only problem I have .

Mike

Edited by HAMMER DOWN

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

so swap the 5MT NSS into the 6sp, or just wire the 5MT NSS in but leave the 6sp one in the transaxle? Seems like there was a conflicting post, I'm guessing the first option. I'm gonna be throwing the gearbox in tonight and then engine some other time, I'm tired of waiting to put them in together because of some F'd up flywheel issues.

...unless the lady next to me parked too close and i cant get the 6sp out of my storage unit :lol:

Put the 5MT's NSS in the 6MT. I wire the 5MT's NSS in, because I didn't know the 6MT's NSS wouldn't work. The 6MT's NSS is right on top the transaxle. You need to almost drop the tranaxle out to change that switch,or remove the tail housing.

Mike

Yes groff, hind sight is 20\20:rolleyes::spin::lol:. If I only new.

clutch,

Did you recheck the wiring for the NSS & back-up lights. Maybe some wires are cross or not hook-up right.

Mike

^

I'm heading back to the shop next Friday for post break in tune. I'll get them to have a look.

Some food for thought...has anyone looked under the 08 STi to see if the rear wheel width match the LGT? I was at one of the local dealer, poking around underneith and was wonder if we could use the R180 rear end (with cross member of course) with the 08STi axles? The 08STi rear is identical to the LGT (upper and lower control arms).

As groff said, if you're going with STi axles, you going to have new STi hubs too, which you can't install on a LGT. Or at least a real PITA.

Why don't just use SpecB axles? Those fit perfect for an R180.

ok, now that i'm back from a business trip, here is where i'm picking up today:

i swapped the front of the r180 rear diff to the r160 flange so that the driveshaft holes would line up like below:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb173/LGTgroff/DSC_0003-2.jpg

i've also taken a couple photos of the differences between the spec b axles and the stocker lgt ones for future reference. i should be able to grease them up a lil and slip them in hopefully, that was the trick with the fronts:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb173/LGTgroff/DSC_0001-1.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb173/LGTgroff/DSC_0002-1.jpg

install driveshaft, wire up the dccd, clean up the shift boot, put in a bunch of fluids and bleed the clutch are all i have left, so hopefully i'll be driving tomorrow :)

Man - that's a lot of work and I really hope you are driving today. Good luck. Would be interested in seeing the spreadsheet of costs for the conversion (parts and any fab work).
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

i've also taken a couple photos of the differences between the spec b axles and the stocker lgt ones for future reference. i should be able to grease them up a lil and slip them in hopefully, that was the trick with the fronts:

I when I put my half shafts is the R160 rear end. I had to use a pry bar to push the half shaft into the rear housing & seat the snap ring in the ring groove of the half shaft. A good test, if you can pull the half shaft out by hand. They are not in all the way. They go in alot harder then the fronts.

Mike

interesting. i had a front that i found out today wasnt in all the way by the pool of fluid under the tranny :lol:

anyway, ran into a rain delay part way through the dccd install, i got the switch in, its just the wiring but i ran out of light with this current storm. i'll get there, should be running this weekend if i can get someone to come over at any point and help me bleed the clutch :mad: cuz i've been askin my buddy 2 weekends in a row...and thats all that's keeping me from starting the car!

Sorry, I would help, but I'm over 6hrs. away. If you can't get your bud over. You can go to an auto parts store & get a vac pump. Or just gravity bleed the slave cylinder. Because it lowest part of that system.

Mike

anybody got a pic of the dccd tps wire they tapped into? or a location. i was under the impression it was B136 pin 18, but I don't see a wire there, so a lil guidance would be nice :lol: also, are the dccd wires black to black and white to green, the schematic wasn't clear and/or i didn't really spend much time looking too!

anybody got a pic of the dccd tps wire they tapped into? or a location. i was under the impression it was B136 pin 18, but I don't see a wire there, so a lil guidance would be nice :lol: also, are the dccd wires black to black and white to green, the schematic wasn't clear and/or i didn't really spend much time looking too!

Yes that's right B136 pin #18. It should be yellow wire with a red strip. It will be the 3rd connector from the left. Or 2nd from the top. As you look at the connector in the back of the ECU under the passanger side floor broad.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/0728080559.jpg

Yes black to black & white to green.

Mike

Edited by HAMMER DOWN
correct for the right info. oops.