LegacyGT.com

Creaking/Groaning on throttle w/steering input?!

I've done some searches but nothing comes up with similarly described symptoms. When I accelerate from a stop and turn left or right I hear a creaking or groaning coming from the front of the car. If I accelerate in a straight line-nothing. The noise also happens while hooning around in the snow when you turn the wheel. It doesn't happen under modest acceleration, only when you get into it a bit. It also only seems to happen in the winter with cold temps. I never hear it during the summer months. It's definitely not a clunk or a grinding noise.

My considerations

1- CV axles?

2- Wheel bearings?

3- Sway bar links (had similar noise disappear after one broke)?

4-Control arm bushings? --could they be allowing flex in the arm and subsequently binding with the CV axle causing said noise.

I will try and get some audio/video up by this afternoon to better assist with diagnosing this, but I thought I would put this out there and see if anyone has had something similar happen.

Are you sure there's no build of of snow in there ?

I'm sure your going to love to get under the car with a good light and look around...this time of year.

Check everything you mentioned above.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Hey don't everyone chime in at once! Anyway a little update- Yesterday was about 30 degrees and wouldn't you know it the sound went away. Today we're back to single digit temps and the sound has returned. I did manage to crawl under and inspect it the other day and everything looked ok. After listening to the audio on some other CV's going out I am 99% sure that's my issue. When I inspected the boots they looked just fine. No cracks and no grease slung under the car anywhere.

I have a winter autocross event coming up and I need this issue resolved. I know that the stock units can be rebuilt, but if they're already noisy it may be too late. My plan is to purchase a couple of remanufactured units and put them in place. Then I suppose I can assess if they are worth rebuilding and could hang on to them. I just want to double check on the remans though. I've heard Max C say to get remans due to failure rate of new units and want to make sure it's still the prevailing theory.

Also has anyone had any luck rebuilding CV's if the boot never tore? or am I just SOL with those?

Well the day I was inspecting the car I removed the sway bar links and let it drop. I took it around the block and the noise didn't change at all. But that was the links not the bushings that were removed. I did have a clunking under the car earlier that ended up being sway bar links and both were replaced last year. I've been wrong plenty of times with this car so I am going to grease them up and see anyway. Its worth a shot.

my power steering pump went after a few months of on and of noises.

-about a week ago when the weather was below zero it was annoying but stuck a little when i turned the steering wheel.

-The next day lots more noise and the steering was really frozen. I let it warm up and it was okay, but bad noises.

-The next morning it was real tight and when i turned the wheel it let loose and that was it no mo pump.

- pump cost me 150ish reman' - total cost $200.00 moo moo's later and i'm back on the road. but i think i let the pump to long. I may have beaten up the rack. Its now acting a lil odd. im know keeping an eye on the belt tensioner, shes getting noisy. well its either that or the crank pulley, maybe even an a bearing in something. its always something, right?

good luck with your stuff...

Its been warmer out and the sound has gone away. I greased the sway bar bushings as well. Ive never had any power steering issues accompanying the noise though. It's still somewhat of a mystery but I don't think it was the axles. I am starting to lean toward the bushings as being the culprit now.

Archived