LegacyGT.com

Joe's Stage 3 build

Finally getting around to setting free the beast within. My mods list as follows:

-BNR 18G w/IP&T v2

-ID 1000cc with top feed rails

-DW65C fuel pump

-Grimmspeed EBCS

-Grimmspeed catless downpipe

-Invidia up pipe

-Gimmick turbo inlet***(scratch that-gonna go with stock)

-K&N intake

-Cobb Accessport

-Cryotune e-tune

-Perrin TMIC

Starting with a 93 Octane map and e-85 to follow. The wrenches just started turning!

Just a little backstory as to the how and why. It all started when I noticed a knock in the engine bay. I recorded it and put it on youtube hoping for some insight. The knock was disturbing and sounded a lot like a rod knock. The only thing is it wouldn't stay step for step with the engine rpm and the noise sounded erratic. Well I thought the turbo runs off exhaust and doesn't follow rpm exactly but stays close. I used a stethoscope and sure enough it told me the turbo was the culprit. It still seemed strange and made me uneasy to drive her around.

So on to an aftermarket turbo I began to think. I mean if I have to spend the money then why not buy the parts I want, right? Well I started reading up on the BNR options

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bnr-16g-vs-hta68-154172.html

That thread gave me a little insight and F1anatic made some good points about vast expanses of land and shifting at redline. But I thought do I not shift at redline because the VF40 falls flat on its face over 5k rpm, probably. I know I plan on track days at Road America and I am gonna need every last bit of rpm on those straightaways!! So ultimately I decided to go with the 18G. At first it seemed straightforward but then... Well if there's higher boost then don't you need a better intercooler? Won't you need more fuel for the turbo setup? Better get bigger injectors. Won't those injectors need a bigger pump? And so it goes, etc, etc etc. So here I am spending thousands more than I plan just cuz "I wanna go fast."

Realistically it's all my neighbors fault with his '06 M5 spanking me out on some country roads. I know I still won't catch him in that insane machine but I am a few steps closer, eh?

bnrg2.thumb.jpg.656f0e087f4535fc01e6941363d194a4.jpg

partslist.thumb.jpg.dae76c0b5783d2713aee7fe4467c1eca.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

If you haven't seen my thread re: fitment of the ID1000 kit along with the IP&T lines, definitely look it up. You'll need to relocate the double banjo or modify one of the fuel rail fittings :)

Edit: here ya go --> http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/oil-feed-line-id1000-conversion-issue-225493.html?t=225493

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

If you haven't seen my thread re: fitment of the ID1000 kit along with the IP&T lines, definitely look it up. You'll need to relocate the double banjo or modify one of the fuel rail fittings :)

Edit: here ya go --> http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/oil-feed-line-id1000-conversion-issue-225493.html?t=225493

I remember reading that and bookmarking it cuz I knew it would come in handy. Thanks for the writeup.

So I have the parts on. I will put some pics up soon. It was pretty straightforward, or so I thought. After I flashed the base map it started relatively quickly. I moved it out of the garage and idled it for about a minute. Today I went to get some datalogs and she won't start. She will sputter and die, then just crank. Too much fuel, not enough, air in the line? Any thoughts?

I don't have time to check much today because I am on the way to drive stock cars at the Milwaukee Mile!

nascar.thumb.jpg.271c7ecc7264b33b4316c9cd6bc71e19.jpg

So the fuel system problem solved... I forgot to put the o-ring and spacer on top of the fuel pump. Thank god for the forums

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fuel-pump-fuel-pressure-regulator-214505.html

It was a long drawn out process with many a rusted bolt (and a few sheared ones), but at least she is running again. Now its on to the datalogging/tuning phase. Thanks to BarManBean for the ID1000 thread. I chose to file down the fitting on the fuel rail as opposed to relocation the IP&T v2 oil feel line. I looked for half an hour to find my dremel but alas I had to use elbow grease and a file.

991678926_IDfitment.thumb.jpg.b151a187dba10176b5edb177a80868aa.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So far I think the tuning process is going well. I have had a few revisions so far and it's starting to feel "alive" again. There have been a few stumbling blocks though and a good amount of frustration...

1)Perrin TMIC fitment-- it sucks no matter what but with the right amount of elbow grease it should fit. My biggest headache was getting the BPV hose to fit between the IC and the manifold, but that has been addressed by many and I should have expected it.

2)Fuel system--had issues building pressure but that was my error. Forgot an o-ring on top of the fuel pump, replaced it and holds pressure fine. I do notice like a vibration/pulsating coming from the FPR now. Kinda sounds like a phone on vibrate from in the cabin. You can only hear it at idle and it isn't audible from outside the car. Makes me think the regulator is going or maybe that's just what the DW pumps sound like. If anyone wants to chime in that's fine.

3)Boost leaks--Chasing them around makes me wonder how many were there before the build. Just built a pressure cap for under $10 works wonders. They weren't too bad, but just another consideration.

4)Patience-- I thought I had plenty but.... I just wanna go fast. It is a time consuming process. In the end it doesn't bother me that I have something to do (work on my car) but your significant other may feel differently lol

• 3 weeks later...

So I keep getting this random misfire in cylinder 2. Ive changed plugs, injectors, coils, gaskets.... no help. Time for (another) compression test. Only 80psi in cylinder 2 :-(

Now it must be valve or ringland. Big bummer after dropping all I have into the build and finding out I have to pull the motor.

It sucks hardcore, but life is giving me a chance to learn patience and how to control my anger ;)

I may be looking for a shortblock and headwork, just start from scratch. If anybody knows of some good build threads... I am really looking to beef up and "bulletproof" the lower end and heads as much as possible. Is it too much to ask to have a motor that you can beat the snot out of and is durable at the same time?

You basically want to put good pistons in your block and have the heads rebuilt.

Do you have a good machine shop near you ?

I have a stock ej257 in my wagon, 40,000 miles on it. With a Great Tune.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 months later...

Archived