LegacyGT.com

Squeaking sound when I turn the steering wheel

Hey guys, hopefully everyone had happy holidays! And here is my story so I had my car off for 4-5 days because of vacuum hoses I needed to get and I started on Saturday so I had to wait till Monday to order the parts, including the shipping days, got the parts on wednesday. I had to remove the inlet, and it was torn so I had to get a new, here comes Perrin. I connected everything back though all sensors and vacuum hoses, when I turned it on today it started making this loud squeak noise when I turn the wheel. Although, when I start driving it for a bit the noise goes away when I turn the wheel. Power steering pump need to be replaced?

I had the same problem several months ago. I got a used power steering pump with 40,000 miles and the squeaks went away. So it probably is a bad power steering pump. It might even be a loose alternator belt, which was causing more squeaking in my car since a little after I changed the belt. So I tightened it well, and that stopped all squeaks completely.

Yeah I tried the alternator, but actually my belt was so tight so we loosened it up. The squeaking only happens when I first turn the car on for the day but after few minutes of driving it goes away. I'm wondering if an aftermarket one like I'm advanced auto or autozone would be better? Or the oem? Because I saw that some people went with advanced auto or autozone than oem.

• 2 months later...
Yeah I got it fixed kirbwrx, want to either check your power steering fluid might be dirty or something, your o-rings from your power steering pump they might gone bad, or you will need a power steering pump. I just got a new power steering pump because mine was done, if you are going to buy a new power steering pump get one from advanced auto parts or pep boys because the dealers there 400-500 bucks and the advanced auto or pep boys are 140-160.

If you don't want to go all out with the flush DIY, try replacing part of the fluid by using the fluid pump you can get from part store and drain the reservoir. Fill it with new fluid and repeat it several times after driving around.

It's the lazy way of flushing, but, in my case, it actually helps smooth things around. It only takes 5 minutes per "flush." I just keep doing it everyday until I finished with the bottle.

BTW, I'm guessing this thread should not be in the detailing forum...

Archived