LegacyGT.com

Removing hundreds of tar spots...

Ok it's that time of the year where I need a thorough wash of my car, exterior, interior, mats, claying, waxing and removing the hundreds of tar spots (lower part of the doors) and bumbers.

I wanted to validate my method with you guys. I'm using mineral spirits with a microfibre cloth. I soak small portions of the cloth and gently rub away the tar spots and then rinse off with car wash detergent. This method seems to be working well, it is a PITA though (takes about 1 hour).

Did some research in the forum and did not find any mineral spirit references or very few tar spot removal topics.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

Second the Oil Flo. That stuff is the shit when it comes to getting tar and adhesives off.

I've used mineral spirits on tar in the past and it works great. When all else failed I used WD40 a couple times too and that worked (due to the content of mineral spirits in the product). Oil Flo isn't really any safer or dangerous than mineral spirits or WD40, it is just a bit more effective. Just be careful if you are working on a treated garage floor. This stuff will eat right through it. (hard learning lesson)

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Claybar? There's also various tar removal products out there, can give those a shot. I'm using a can of Stoner Tarminator right now and it's working for me :)

I know the claybar does not do the job, I've tried it in the past. I was just refering to the clay bar as part of my extensive spring clean-up routine. Winter's are harsh here. I think that next winter I'll take the car to a professional detailer during winter like in February so that it's not as in bad a shape it is right now.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

Ok, I'm going to go out on a limb and recommend something I've only heard about, but heard it works phenomenally...

Dip a pair of pantyhose in 7-up/Sprite, and use that on the bugs and tar.

I'm not sure about the super stuck on stuff, but I've heard tough bugs and pieces of tar just wipe right off.

Personally, I think I'd prefer to try that first rather than mineral spirits....

Joe

i had some body work done after my accident and the bodyshop washed and waxed my car but there were 2 problems.

1.) tar-type substance left on some of the body parts??

2.) buffer marks

i'm so sick of dealing with them, but should those come off pretty easily? i haven't done my spring wash/clay/wax yet..

gasoline works best for removing tar, imho, but with the smell and possible

combustion issues on a rag i use RC car motor spray (Nitro spray works too)

to remove tar.

very effective, no greasy residue, no combustible rags. no scent.

WD40 works well too, but that greasy residue you get is extra step

to clean.

i had some body work done after my accident and the bodyshop washed and waxed my car but there were 2 problems.

1.) tar-type substance left on some of the body parts??

2.) buffer marks

i'm so sick of dealing with them, but should those come off pretty easily? i haven't done my spring wash/clay/wax yet..

Buffer marks won't come out with clay or wax. You have to machine polish those out. All waxing can accomplish is hiding them.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived