LegacyGT.com

Performance mods for the Legacy 2.5i?

Hey guys, I'm the proud owner of a 2014 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium CVT and i was hoping there were some performance parts that would fit into the car. A cursory search on Google revealed that there is little to no hope for a turbo for my car... Needless to say, this is something i REALLY want to do just because my last car was a 99 Camry and was lacking power (lacking is a bit of an understatement).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm. I am sorry your self-professed 'proud' ownership has taken such a hit. There are those of us here, who either are not fond of turbos and their artifacts, or have outgrown the need for neck-snapping acceleration, or to which the race car culture holds little interest.

I find this board fascinating for many reasons, but one is the relative acceptance of us naturally aspirated guys by the whirling dervish crowd. While my N/A Legacy is not quick, the guys here have helped me understand what can be done to my car to improve handling, safety, cosmetics, etc. I have enjoyed the journey so far…

I keep my cars a long, long time. The guys on this board - including the turbo guys - have helped me to modify my N/A car in meaningful ways that make a difference. It might be good to not give up on your 2014 Legacy so quickly. Not only do you stand the chance of losing your shirt, economically - but you may just miss out on a lot of fun with your current vehicle.

In the terminology of some of my younger counterparts, 'just sayin…'

Best.

Byll

I agree with Byll! I loved doing small things to my 02 Leg GT even though it was never as fast as my 05 turbo.

GL with your mods! I suggest suspension (Sways, endlinks, and stiffer struts) and brakes!

OP, you have two choices if you want to stay with a 5th gen Legacy: 2.5GT or 3.6R.

Pick your poison.

If you give a 2.5i decent handling, you will feel even more frustrated with the lack of power. I had a 2.5i 6mt.

My honest advice to you: Trade it in or live with it as is.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

I have done 2 engine mods to my 2.5i, which is a different motor than 13 & 14 2.5i that you have. A tune and lightweight crank pulley. The tune was a slight gain and it actually gets a little better mpg, so that it atleast going to pay for itself. (I am also tuner for my other vehicle so it was natural that I would want to play with Subaru's tune). The lightweight crank pulley is not worth the money. It has the same peak acceleration as before on a G-tech. The only difference is that has a little better throttle response in 1st and 2nd gear.

I doubt air box and muffler mods will add up to any measurable gains. The air box isn't a restriction on the 2.5GT and neither are the mufflers on mildly modified 2.5GT's. The 2.5i uses the same muffler (though only one) as the 2.5GT.

In someways it is nice that there are no engine mods yet to tempt me to spend more money on my car. However I am keeping eye open for a 2012 Ruby Red Pearl 2.5GT.

It just all depends on what you want in the car. For me, I own a 2013 2.5i, and compared to the old EJ motors and coming from a 3rd gen Legacy the new 2.5i is a much greater improvement. It's peppy and enjoyable for daily driving and spirited driving. I've owned a Lexus SC400, and a 1JZ swapped Lexus SC300, so in that aspect I've owned quick cars in the past and still enjoy the 2.5i greatly. It's a fun daily driver, it takes the turns at a fun rate. Considering it's my daily and the mods that I've done so far still make it an enjoyable car. I've also owned a 73 MG which has a motor the size of a lawnmower motor. So having something that is "Fast" isn't a factor for me to enjoy a car.

That being said, suspension upgrades make the car more enjoyable, getting a good set of tires also helps in the turns for a bit more enjoyable feel. As for anything for it to go faster as you know there isn't much to do.

I have been pretty happy with my 2011 N/A 2.5i Legacy. Its a fun car to drive, and its actually a really nice car altogether. It may not be a GT or a 3.6r, but it certainly performs great for a 4 cylinder. Not a whole lot of engine modifications you can do, but more or less a ton of cosmetic things you can do. Do a Bayson R front lip, Rally Armour flaps, de-badge the trunk, new performance tires/rims, black out the head lights, tint the windows, drop in K&N filter, decals, new exhaust, and much more. There is still a lot of room to play with your legacy, and doing simple cosmetic things turns heads for sure. Make the car the way you want it, and take pride in it.

This is simply not true. Its one of the slowest, if not the slowest, in its class.

Can you quantify that with facts? It's not fast by any stretch but I doubt it's significantly slower than most other 4 cylinder awd cars.

This is simply not true. Its one of the slowest, if not the slowest, in its class.

How many other cars in it's "Class" are full time AWD...at anywhere near the same price??...Let's not forget "Performance" means the ability to perform the tasks at hand that the driver/owner requires.

We have a 2012 2.5i Ltd and a 2013 3.6R Ltd.......Both cars have upgraded tires, wheels, bigger RSB's and a lots of personal mods to appearance and convenience. Of course the 3.6R is a lot faster BUT uses way more gas too....... We have done a few long trips (9000 km) in the 2.5i and love it as a tourer.

If you like your Legacy....follow the path that makes it "Yours" and enjoy a great car. :cool:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/RM-RS/10_zps61c331c4.jpg

Can you quantify that with facts? It's not fast by any stretch but I doubt it's significantly slower than most other 4 cylinder awd cars.

Why are you adding AWD into the equation? Its "class" is "Entry to Mid-Scale Mid-Size Family Sedan", competing with the likes of Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Mazda 6, Nissan Altima, Hyundai Sonata, Kia Optima, Ford Fusion, Chrysler 200, Chevy Malibu, etc. AWD is a feature, and a beneficial one to only some people, but it doesn't change the class of the vehicle.

And the answer is yes:

0-60 times, 1/4 mi times according to zeroto60times.com. I am sure there are other sources that would report similarly:

2014 Legacy 2.5i Sport (CVT): 8.7/16.5

2013 Honda Accord Sport (CVT) : 7.5/15.7

2014 Mazda 6i (AT): 7.5/15.5

2015 Toyota camry SE (AT): 8.0/?

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE (AT): 7.7/15.9

2013 Ford Fusion SE: 7.9/15.9

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL: 7.3/15.5

So I think it's fair to say that yes, its "significantly" slower. 1+ second 0-60 and 1+ second on the 1/4 are significant and people spend a lot on mods to achieve that.

170 HP is on the lower end of base engine output in the class, and with the weight and AWD system, it holds the Legacy back. The car needs 190 HP to be competitive or 300 lbs of weight savings.

How many other cars in it's "Class" are full time AWD...at anywhere near the same price??...Let's not forget "Performance" means the ability to perform the tasks at hand that the driver/owner requires.

:)

Most automakers don't mate AWD with a base engine. Thats a very specific purchase choice on the part of the buyer that they want both AWD and a cheap/efficient base engine in a mid-size package, which fundamentally conflicts with being "not slow" and means the buyer's priority is on AWD+economy rather than AWD+acceleration. Its a choice.

With the base engine it is still the (or one of the) slowest in the class. I'm not sure why this is controversial. Its true. I didn't say "less good", I said "slow" and I mean in terms of acceleration. My entire point was "Love it for what it is, but if you are unhappy with the power it has then get out now before you waste money on mods you won't ever recover and may actually devalue the car".

People who are very happy with your 2.5i's.. thats EXCELLENT! But when I read someone say "I just bought a 2.5i, but it's kind of slow, how do I get more power?" then I say, you don't get more power, so un-buy it, trade it in, etc. because you are destined for disappointment.

1 second to 60 imo is not significant unless your goal is performance. In this class that's not the goal. Its comfort and safety with some utility for good measure.

We can always say the legacy is quicker to 60 in poor traction conditions than others in its class and price range.

Archived