LegacyGT.com

motor swap time :)

so im going to get a 5mt from a junkyard, and im going to get a motor to go with it. just to refresh my memory any ej will bolt into any ej car right? so the question is should i yank a block and heads or just go with a whole motor? i think the turbo motors are the same price as the N/A motors. if they are should i go with a turbo motor? (they got a shit ton of imprezas. im sure one of them will be a wrx or sti) or should i grab a 2.5? or make a franken motor with 2.5 block and 2.0 heads..... if anyone has pros and cons on any of these options id apreciate it. and also would it be a good idea to grab the pcm of the motor im using so i wont have egr issues if the motor i pull dosent have it? so exited for this becuase the prices are cheap enought that il be able to do this about mid summer so i wanna start planing this now so thier will be as few suprises as can be (i know thier wont be none as going from auto to manual is not the most straight foward). sorry for rambling just exited

Search bar: engine swap. There is info in the stickies, literally a lifetime of information for swaps, read up. Threads and stirrups on n/a builds, turbo builds..from what I understand from the opening post you haven't figured out a platform to work with. Excitement does that.

Sorry if I seem impersonal but research will help a ton more than everybody that knows a lot of this stuff doesn't have to retype the same things over and over. Good luck.

If your cheap junkyards are like my cheap junkyards, there ain't gonna be no STi's. . . and the only WRX will have a rod hanging out the top of the block and it'll be picked to death already.

but good luck.

If you're planning on going turbo, you'll need a crossmember too. Don't know what'll fit the 2nd gen leggies. . . but I know 3rd and 4th gen Leggy are more or less compatible with 02-07 Impreza.

Honestly all ej series motors are very reliable once you get rid of the factory headgaskets in certain motors. I can tell you that if you want to have a reliable turbo charged motor be prepared to spend and spend some more. There is a lot of associated parts involved, wiring, subframe as was mentioned but if you can wrench you will save alot money.

i do all my own work :) but on the probability i dont wind up with a turbo motor, if i grab a 2.5 (the yard has about 250 legacys and about 1000 subies all together) with a 5 mt should i grab the pcm with the motor or will mine be fine even its an auto trans pcm?

i do all my own work :) but on the probability i dont wind up with a turbo motor, if i grab a 2.5 (the yard has about 250 legacys and about 1000 subies all together) with a 5 mt should i grab the pcm with the motor or will mine be fine even its an auto trans pcm?

A yard with 1000 Subies... pack a picnic lunch because I'm not leaving anytime soon!

the bulk of them are foresters i think. so it should be easy to find a 2.5 and 5mt. but with about 1000 subies im really hoping thiers atleast one wrx or sti that hasent had the motor and trans pulled. or atleast the motor

If they're heavy on Foresters, the Forester XT is just as good as a WRX. Dare I say. ..better?

Not much difference on paper between the EJ255's the 04-07(ish) Fozzies got vs. the EJ205 that went in the 02-whenever they started running 2.5T's in the WRX, but there's more room to grow.

Where is this yard?

Archived