LegacyGT.com

05 gt brakes on a 97 gt?

Been looking around, and cant seem to find a definitive answer...

Question is: will the Brakes, off my 05 LGT, swap over to my little brothers 97gt? Im about to go Brembo. Want to give him my slotted brakes from my car.

I saw that there is a wrx brake swap, but couldnt find anything on a 4th gen brake swap.

Thanks.

Fronts I know will. . . my logic being that I'm running 05 LGT brakes on my 2000 OBW, and I've swapped 2000 OB front brakes to earlier (95-99) outbacks.

Rears? no idea. probably so. Subaru likes to get a lot of life out of their parts-making-machinery, it seems.

Obviously he'll need 17" wheels to clear the fronts.

Searched the stickies. Thats where i found the wrx swap. And found one that talked about the rears from an 00+ legacy. But nothing on the fronts. I was assuming that the fronts would work. But i have has some bad luck with assumptions in the past.

I asked about the whole setup. I hate posting new threads, so i search for quite a while looking for specific information.

still had a question after looking all over. So i decided to ask.

Thank you for the help, though.

Yep. Waaay better. WRX (excluding STi) brakes didn't really get interesting until around 08 and even then it was mostly cosmetics.

Everyone (including myself, once upon a time) thinks WRX=awesomesaucegofastJDMyo!

Meanwhile, LGT's spank 'em in every category. . .

The 05 GT fronts got a little bigger than the 00-04 fronts so he will need 17's. The rears stayed the same diameter but went from solid to vented so any H6 upgrade writeup would be a good place to start. He will need to remove the dust shield in the rears.

I would say they got a lot bigger (01 H6 rotor in front, 05 LGT rotor in rear):

IMG_20130922_114504749.jpg

Thicker too:

IMG_20130922_114533003.jpg

Aside from Brembos or some crazy aftermarket goodness, they're pretty much the Mandingo of OEM Subaru brakes.

But yes, 17"s required. Mentioned that in post #2.

H6 only applies to the rear rotors. They are the same size for the entire 3rd gen and bigger than what was on the WRX at the time, hence the H6 upgrade for the Impreza. The rotor is 11 inch solid.

The 3rd gen fronts are all over the map. They started out being the same as the 2nd gen Outback / GT size, (smaller than the rears) moving up to the 02 WRX size later (03?) on the GT. That made the fronts 11 inch as well, only vented.

The 4th gen upped the size of the fronts to 12 inch, and kept the rears at 11 inch, moving from solid to vented.

All sizes are rounded since I am doing this from memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived