LegacyGT.com

Need suggestions

Hey guys, I recently got an 06 5EAT LGT with a 100k in pretty good condition. I want to just go to stage 2 and call it a day &I for simplicity's sake just stick with one brand (COBB) in this case. AP, intake, DP & lastly UP. The only thing is, the Cobb UP is one single piece &I I've read a lot about that it leaks where as the GRimmspeed UP has the flex section to prevent leaking. I cant find definitive posts about which is truly better. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

I own the GS up pipe and couldn't be happier with the quality. I've had turboXS up pipes in the past and the GS is a notch up in quality IMO. Leaks are usually poor installation, cheap/bad part, or bad gaskets. I use OEM gaskets or the supplied GS gaskets and never had a problem and thats over many thousand hard miles on multiple turbo subarus I've owned. Cobb makes some really high quality stuff, I don't think you'll go wrong whichever option you choose, but if they were the same money - I'd take the GS pipe.

Also you dont need an intake. Save the money your car will run much better with the stock airbox and a good tune. Buy a nicer downpipe/uppipe and get a good tune and you will be happy

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

• I Donated Too

The GS up pipe is probably the best buy right now. I used the Perrin up in the past when the GS flex had a dodgy reputation but they addressed that and my Perrin cracked as it was a one piece. Without hesitation I would say get the GS one.

Also, another vote for keep the stock airbox - shove an AEM dry filter in it and it's good for well past Stage 2, it's a very well designed part.

A lot of exhaust leaks are caused by using the wrong gaskets, tightening things down in the wrong order, or not using the correct torque. Use the multi-layer steel gaskets with the raised boss that locates the gasket on the pipe. Either the genuine OEM gaskets which can be bought at a discount online or the GS double thickness gaskets have been shown to work well. A flex section on the uppipe is desirable because metal expands when hot and if it is secured at both ends, there needs to be some way to relieve the strain. The catless OEM uppipe does have a flex section but it is hidden under the heatshields.

OEM downpipes are specific to transmission type, but aftermarket downpipes such as Grimmspeed and Cobb do not have transmission attachment brackets. So your transmission in no way affects your choice of downpipe.

MT downpipes won't fit on the AT cars. The final bend before the catback connection is different. You will definitely have to buy an AT friendly downpipe.

If you're looking to call it a day, at least set it and forget with a custom tune on your accessport.

Definate on a custom tune. I know Cryotune did great for me and Tuning Alliance has an Awesome reputation as well. Do not skimp here it is critical that these guys be involved immediately unless of course you really want to upgrade your engine. I would never trust an off the shelf map for long especially because I run hard.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

MT downpipes won't fit on the AT cars. The final bend before the catback connection is different. You will definitely have to buy an AT friendly downpipe.

Wow, my bad. Somehow never picked up on that; never worked on (or driven) an AT Legacy.

Sorry to hijack, but reviewing the fitment on the GrimmSpeed pipe, I noticed it specifies non-VF46 only. I'm assuming this is a wastegate flapper issue, correct? Given that, I think it's strange they would specify the pipe as a fit through '09, because as I understand it the VF46 is standard equipment for '07-'09? I guess they're targeting VF52 & other turbo buyers.

Archived