LegacyGT.com

help! Subaru legacy sport 1991 code 14 and rough idle

I'm completely at a loss at the moment with this car. I just recently bought it and not long after it through a code with a super rough idle. Code 14 injector one so as any normal person would do I replaced injector one. To my dismay the code and rough idle still remains. This is what else I've checked and done so far, I hope someone can help :confused:

-replaced spark plugs

-replaced wires

-new fuel filter

-oil change and oil filter

-cleaned MAF sensor

-checked compression (perfect compression)

-checked timing (good)

-checked resistance to injector (good)

-checked continuity to injector (good)

-checked purge solenoid (good)

-checked fuel pressure regulator (good I believe)

I'm at a total loss and just want to get it through inspection and running good to enjoy it.

Have you checked for a pulse from the ECU at the injector while the car is running? If you have a new injector on cyl 1 but still have that same code/symptom, could be either bad wiring or ECU not firing that injector.

• 2 weeks later...

Update

The car now has new pulley but still a code. I have also done a compression test with great results 160 on #1 & #4 150 on #2 & #3 still need to do a hot test on it though. Also installed a boost gauge yielding 6 pounds of boost solid when driving. On idle the boost gauge jumps so I will soon be getting a smoke test done on the car. In addition I am starting to believe it may be a bad fuel pressure regulator knowing that the car has had periods of time sitting. Also when squeezing the return line on the fuel filter the car stops idling rough and the boost gauge stays steady. Once I can I'll be checking with a fuel pressure gauge also.

did you check for vacuum leaks? starting fluid sprayed on suspected vacuum leak will momentarily increase the idle. full boost at 6psi sounds low, sounds like the boost controller isnt limiting boost, sounds like the the wastegate spring is the only boost control... possibly a vacuum leak around there.

Yeah, stock boost on a 22T should be 8.7 psi.

You could build a boost leak detector like mine for cheap and it helped me find all of my boost leaks: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-boost-leak-tester-ss-199337.html

I had to replace every single vacuum line on my SS. A common leak is the turbo inlet elbow. They break just by looking at them. JB quick can fix them sometimes.

I had some serious fueling issues with my SS as well. Cleaning the MAF never hurts anything. My MAF went bad and it took me months to pinpoint as the problem. The fuel pump was shot and the fuel filter was clogged, the injectors were toast, and the coil pack was out of spec.

Update Pt2

-Installed new fuel pressure regulator

-Replaced vacuum lines on passenger side

-Swapped coil pack with a working one on my other legacy

Still car runs with same issues but a bit less aggressive with the shake. There are a few more test I am going to run today which are.

-Checking IAC valve

-Checking PCV valve

-Fuel Pressure Test

-Check Resistance on fuel pump

-ECU to injector resistance

Well I am stumped...everything checked out

IAC resistance was perfect on plug and connector

Fuel pressure stayed at 32 psi

PCV valve had vacuum still

One strange thing is the MAF resistance it gave weird readings between 1 & 2 was 1.5 mega ohms, between 1&4 it was .65 mega ohms and between 2& 4 it was 1.3 mega ohms. According to the manual it was suppose to be 1 mega ohm on 1,2, & 4.

I guess I am off to do a smoke test but who knows.

It is finally possibly solved!

I finally got my hands on a vacuum pressure and leak tester and found an immense amount of leaks.Thank god I haven't been driving the car with it so bad, I am going to be spending the week replacing the lines wish me luck on this finally fixing it!

Archived