LegacyGT.com

Official Suspension FAQ - Swaybars - Struts/Springs - Coilovers - Alignment

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[/indent]What about WRX struts and springs?
As stated above, yes they will fit. Any '02-07 WRX strut, spring and top-hat combo will work on our cars. These will only lower half an inch at most with the stock WRX springs.

I promise I've read it a bunch But I just need a bit of clearification. Someone local has a good deal on somesprings from his '06 wrx. So from my understanding, to use these springs, all I will need is a set of rear top hats of similar year (02-07).

As long as that is true, my question is this. According to what I quoted above, the spring&strut combo will only drop it .5", But what about if I just use the springs on my stock GT struts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
from my understanding, you can put any wrx sti suspention in up to a 2004 i forget if you can put later wrx non sti parts in. but for the most part anything wrx or sti up to 2004 should be basicly bolt in to our cars.

• 2 weeks later...

His could be a stupid queation but coudlnt find an answer on here. What's the difference between top mounts/strut mounts and top hats? Are they all the same just different words?

96 postel wagon RHD

I have a 97 Legacy Outback.

Can I use the stock tophats with 02-07 WRX Struts and 04 STI springs?

From the first page"Any '02-07 WRX strut, spring and top-hat combo will work on our cars." But this does not say that the stock outback top hats will work.

stock outback tophats are the same as the stock legacy tophats, which are not the same as the 02-07 sti tophats. the main difference is the diameter of the top of the spring, not the bolt pattern for the tophat. if you use newer springs youll need the tophats to match them.

Looks like I am on the quest for 4 tophats then.

I know the second gen forester tophats work with the 04 STI springs.

So pretty much any tophats from impreza,legacy,forester, wrx,sti, baja

in the 02-07 year range will work with these springs and fit my 1997 Legacy Outback??

i have 06 sti struts, springs and tophats. the tophats fit all the way around, only part that doesnt match is the bolt holes for the front lower strut. i was able to get the rears to fit and work, but they were lower than i wanted.

Maybe since mine are WRX struts, they wont be too low for my liking.

I am putting 245 wide tires on so I may have to borrow a friends fender roller anyway.

On another forum someone pointed out to me that the 02-03 STI and 04-07 STI struts are different.I looked at some pics and the rear struts on the 04-07 have the mounting for the top of sthe spring offset from the center of the strut shaft. Will they both work on our cars? If they both fit, is one better than the other geometrically speakeing for our cars?

• 2 weeks later...

Impreza rear bars don't fit any Legacies

Our Legacies have a little bump that sticks out of the spare tire well and interferes with Impreza rear swaybars. So while a Legacy bar will fit perfectly on an Impreza, things don't work the other way around. This also probably applies to Forester swaybars.

any reason that hump cant be cut off flush and a flat piece welded in place allowing a impreza bar to be used?

that has been done, its hollow... be careful tho..

crawled under and in the inside and it looks pretty straight forward and would open my options up a bit, still debating on how I would like to do the suspension when I get around to it.

a Tribeca front and wrx or whiteline rear with wrx struts seems to be pretty common for on road, the car doesn't corner terrible as it is but my acura tl was easier to turn at speed on off ramps etc but it was designed more for that. would like to be able to do the occasional autox but being a subie a bit of gravel road fun is always on the table as well so i don't want to go so stiff that it cant handle some bumpy gravel

trying to find the best mix of performance/cost/comfort