LegacyGT.com

98 LGT WRX motor swap info wanted

hi guys,

im new to the site but not new to Subarus. i have a 98 LGT wagon and am gathering parts to swap an 03 WRX motor in and am wondering if there is any good resources out there, maybe even you all. i found some stuff on 25rs.com but phase 1 2.5 to phase 2 2.5 conversions get confusing. has anyone done this swap? if so what was needed?

Dont for get the wiring harness from the wrx! You will need pinout diagrams from both cars and have to merge the harnesses together. You can use your LGT subframe if you have someone build you custom uppipe, downpipe and intercooler piping.

ok cool thanks guys. i knew about the wiring harness and ecm stuff but didnt know about the subframe. did some research and found that with the wrx subframe you need to shim up control arms and do some other not so great things to work, but with an older turbo legacy GC8 subframe its basically bolt on, so i guess ill have to track one of those down. is the wiring stuff similar to 2.5RS or is there maybe another resource that has a good explanation out there?

i have to admit, i am not incredibly impressed with the transmission in my car, and i wonder if doing all of the work of putting in a wrx powerplant would warrant the addition of a more modern transmission.....is this foolish of me? i must admit i have little idea of how much more complicated such a thing would be...

i suppose that i should clarify....i feel that the gearing in the second gen legacys is a bit too short....highway cruising speed requires over 3k rpm....i have always felt that this is ridiculous, and very much wished i had one more gear, or at least a taller final ratio...

Archived