LegacyGT.com

Legacy or Jetta TDi

Brian M

Thinking about purchasing an auto? Both the Legacy and Jetta TDi came to mind. I've driven both and like both. After working the numbers and evaluating them they both seem like they will cost me about the same in fuel considering diesel is appx O.80 a gallon more. Someone has certainly debated this same scenario. Can you present your side and provide feedback? Help is greatly appreciated and I do realize this is a Subaru forum. Originally thought the jetta but now I'm rethinking it.

Wow you're really at opposite ends of the spectrum comparison wise. Too many things to factor in for us to give you a solid response. Let's start with your location, how many miles to and from work. Do you need as big of a car as a Legacy, the cost maintence wise of awd vs fwd? Let's start with this and good luck with whichever you choose. :)
2010 2.5GT limited is for sale. :)

I just went through the motions of maybe selling my subaru to goto a TDI sportwagon.. opted to stay w/ the subi. the TDI's are nice! But i didn't want a new car payment... at one point i did a rough "diesel == gas" calculation, i think the 42mpg in the TDI is roughly 36mpg (cost wise) in gas.

100-200 miles a day.. which every you are more comfy in. I personally don't like the new subaru seats... have a buddy that just got a tdi gulf, drove it out to ohio straight (~10hrs) and said it was comfy the whole way.

Both are great cars, if the TDI had AWD, i'd be all over it, that was another breaking point for me. Now.. if i could put a TDI motor in my outback... i'd be all set ;-)

Would be using it for work. Probably drive between 100 and 200 miles per day. I live in Illinois so the Awd is to really a necessity.

seems to me you've already answered your question. you can't get a Jetta TDI in a wagon anymore. and no one brought up longterm maintenance. that should factor heavily into your thoughts when picking which one you want.

as much as I'd like TDI, I'm sticking with the Subie.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

As an ex VW guy I would say that it will depend on which generation you want. The TDi is a bulletproof motor. Very strong, lots of torque, and gets great gas mileage. The MK5's are much nicer in terms of interior and overall comfortability. MK4's are ok, but jesus do they have a lot of electrical issues. This may just be one of those "loud voices of the minority" things, but they suck. Also, resale is shit for VW's in general, unless you're talking about R32's or something. Personally, I wouldn't go with the VW because you will start to deal with things like comfort control modules going out on you and alternators that go out like they are light bulbs. Don't take my opinion as fact, I'm just stating my experiences with VW's. Now when you're talking about older VW's...I had a 79' type 2 bus that was awesome.

I have had Subaru's and TDI's. my Golf TDi cost me 85 dollars a month in fuel. My LGT costs me 300-320 a month in gas. The cost to own the Legacy annually came out to 4620 dollars for fuel, maintenance, tags, and insurance last year. The golf cost me 4160 in fuel, maintenance, tags, and insurance. Repair parts, and maintenance are much much more expensive for the diesels. Almost all my fuel savings were negated by the increased maintenance cost.

As long as you have the proper tires for the season, FWD really isn't that bad. Is my Legacy more fun in a snowy parking lot? Hell yes! But the Jetta TDI wagon still gets me where I need to go when it's snowing without issue. Maintenance is more expensive on the VW for sure.

you can't get a Jetta TDI in a wagon anymore.

sure you can http://www.vw.com/en/models/jettasportwagen/trims-specs.html

The VW will get you about 40MPG, the Legacy will get you about 27MPG.

If I had to drive as much as you, I'd pick the TDi and use the gas savings to sock money away for a dedicated snow tire and wheel package, and a summer tire and wheel package.

-some quick mileage / gas math (200 miles a day, 20 working days a month) and you should save almost $3K a year driving the TDi vs the Legacy.

Your winter tires and wheels will be paid for in 4 months.

New legacy with the 2.5 non turbo

With the mpg listed above and current fuel costs the TDI would run me 9.4 cents per mile (3.76 per gal) while the legacy would be 11.8 cents (3.19 per gal). I guess an important thing to me would be post warranty costs because after 4 years of use I plan to give it to my daughter after college graduation and I would hate to hand her something that requires big $$$ to keep it going.

I was considering a Golf TDI and spent time on VW forums, (and subaru forums). Lot's of chatter, unhappy campers, sorry dealer stories, expensive repairs, etc. on the VW forums, The Subaru forums were quiet in comparison.

I've driven the Passat TDI and the newer Jetta (gas) as rental cars. I prefer my Legacy. The Jetta had a cheap feel to me and I liked the seats in the Legacy better.

As long as you have the proper tires for the season, FWD really isn't that bad. Is my Legacy more fun in a snowy parking lot? Hell yes! But the Jetta TDI wagon still gets me where I need to go when it's snowing without issue. Maintenance is more expensive on the VW for sure.

sure you can http://www.vw.com/en/models/jettasportwagen/trims-specs.html

OOOPPSSS!! i meant AWD diesel. :lol:

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Archived