LegacyGT.com

Go 255 wide or go home??

rnstein69

What tire and size should I go with?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What tire and size should I go with?

• Go with the Dunlops in size 255/35/18 and make them fit!!
    • Be on the slightly safer side and get the Kumhos in size 245/35/18
    • Any other suggestions...

So I want to know what you guys think. I am ready to buy Summer tires for my Volk wheels; I autocross frequently hence my two tire choices below. The wheels are size 18 x 8.5, +44 offset and I know that front and rear fenders will have to be rolled, and fronts possibly pulled. I am already lowered on Tein Flex coilovers.

I really want to get Dunlop Direzza z1 Star Specs in 255/35/18 (closest to OD) but will be a close fit when it comes to clearing the fenders. The next size down that is close to OD is 225/40/18 and those I think will be too stretched out on 8.5" rims.

I could go with the Kumho Ecsta XS in size 245/35/18, but I kind of have my heart set on the Dunlops.

So what do you guys think?

Go with the Dunlops in 255?

Go with the Kumhos and be a little on the safer side?

Other suggestion?

By the way, I know that many of you run 235/40/18 and I know that is an option, but I want to stay as close to stock overall diameter as possible.

Thanks!!

The only two tires that I was considering were the Dunlop star specs and the Kumho ecsta xs because they are both autox worthy and daily driveable. I really am on the fence of being one of the first ones to fit this tire on an LGT or being on the safer side and going with the 245's. :spin:

A few other tires are available in 245/35/18 but are not as sticky or soft of a compound as the ones I have been considering.

I just spoke to a friend who has the 255/35/18 dunlops on his STi (same size wheels that I have) and they fit, but are tight. I have a feeling that I would have to do more than your average fender rolling and/or pulling to get them to work on the LGT...

Maybe next season I will give them a shot. Looks like I will be getting the Kumhos as they got great reviews as well.

Thanks guys.

What year is his STi? Do a test fit?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Rnstein - I'm not saying this will fit, but why not 245/40/18? You gain so little in height, and your selection options are far better....including the Dunlop Direzza Star Spec for only $3 more per tire than the Kumho....

Is my math right:

225 * .40 = 90

245 * .40 = 98

I know alot of people go from 215/45/17 to 225/45/17 on the stock wheels with no problems, and that's an increase in height from 96.75 to 101.25.

IDK if it'd work or give you the feel you are looking for, but might give you the tire you want in a nice wide fit.

Well, lets start with the stock tire size:

215/45/17 = 24.6" in diameter

other close to stock sizes for an 18" wheel:

225/40/18 = 25.1" in diameter (would be too stretched on my 8.5" rim)

245/35/18 = 24.8" in diameter (perfect size, only 0.2" larger than stock)

255/35/18 = 25" in diameter (also a good size)

so, a 235/40 or 245/40 tire or 235/35 tire:

235/40/18 = 25.4" in diameter (0.8" difference, a little too "tall" for my liking)

245/40/18 = 25.7" in diameter (over 1" difference, too tall)

235/35/18 = 25.4" in diameter (would work, but a rare size)

so, if dunlop did make the star specs in a 245/35/18 I would be all over them. I think I will just settle for the Kumhos and maybe run the Dunlops late next season if I am confident that I can fit a 255 wide tire under my wheel well after rolling them.

Do it. I run a 255/35/18. Major rolling and pulling of front is required, but it's worth it. the rears will easily fit 265s with a pull. I run 18x8.5 +48 rims, so my clearance issues were on the inside, which are harder to deal with than outside issues.

Archived