LegacyGT.com

Thinking of trading in my LGT for a Mazdaspeed 3

I am thinking of trading in my 2005 LGT for a Speed 3. Anyone have thoughts on this car? I've read outstanding reviews and frankly I'm tired of all the nagging issues with my LGT. Appreciate any thoughts or insight.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am thinking of trading in my 2005 LGT for a Speed 3. Anyone have thoughts on this car? I've read outstanding reviews and frankly I'm tired of all the nagging issues with my LGT. Appreciate any thoughts or insight.

Boxerpower did that. Different car. I think he had some issues with his Mazda 3 too. I know he blew a strut early on.

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

New one is cheaper has more options (minus the AWD) and Hell, I gotta believe it's more reliable. I just don't trust my car. I had the cruise go out, wheel bearing replace, window switch replaced, rattles galore, Under warranty it went into limp mode a couple of times and even though the dealership got the code they said they couldn't repoduce it. So who knows when that may crop up again. Now It's out of warranty and Check Engine Light has come on twice for a Lean fuel Mixture. Only a matter of time before another wheel bearing goes. I just don't trust the reliability and that's saying something since I've owned 6 Subaru's.

Me and the woman were looking into one.

Not a bad car, performance and price wise. But, the hatch and the fact that there are more of these on the roads than Honda Civics these days really swayed our decisions to look elsewhere.

Me and the woman were looking into one.

Not a bad car, performance and price wise. But, the hatch and the fact that there are more of these on the roads than Honda Civics these days really swayed our decisions to look elsewhere.

Not the Mazdaspeed 3? This is limited production and I have to travel to the dealership in Salem to get one (approx. 100miles). Not all dealerships are allowed to carry them.

Geez, how do you blow a strut?

I think he tracked it once:lol:. Hey what do you expect? its still a mazda. If you want a really reliable, comfortable, decent looking 1 wheel drive vehicle, just get a Camry:lol:

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

My wife says they're cute.

I look at them like Volkswagon Bugs, a woman's car. No offense Bob!

No offense taken but a bug? Maybe a GTI?

http://www.motorportal.com/Mazda%20News/images/MAZDASPEED3_front34_3.jpg

I think he tracked it once:lol:. Hey what do you expect? its still a mazda. If you want a really reliable, comfortable, decent looking 1 wheel drive vehicle, just get a Camry:lol:

Funny guy! :)

Camry will never make my top ten list! It's about as exciting as watching a race between slugs.

I passed up a Mazdaspeed3 to buy my '08 LGT. The ms3 is the most fun for the dollar out there right now, without a doubt. Great steering feel, very quick.

Consider a few things, though:

It bleeds boost to limit torque in first and second gears. This means it isn't really that fast off the line. Even if you go with aftermarket engine management to get rid of this, you will introduce huge torque steer and still not have enough traction to be really fast off the line.

Their reliability is suspect. The first year had major problems with engine mounts backing out and breaking, literally causing the engine to fall. Last I heard, Mazda was still refusing to treat this as a problem, and some dealers wouldn't even check cars' mounts until they failed. The factory tune is incredibly rich--potentially bad enough to foul plugs regularly.

It is loud on the highway and uncomfortable. The leather in the GT model is terrible and was getting worn on some drivers' cars as early as a few thousand miles. The interior is not bad, but doesn't compare to the LGT.

Overall, the ms3 is still a great car and I have a lot of respect for them. It's not a car I would want to drive every day, though.

I think the car is bad but after drivinf a fair amount of turbo FWD cars...no way.

The car has 270HP but has FWD...thew thign would be tough to control.

I think it's quite manageable and it scored better than the 2008 WRX. Here's a comparison between the 2008 WRX and the Mazdaspeed 3:

As it is, the WRX's 0.81g skid pad and 67.7-mph blast through the slalom are solid, but not up to the Mazdaspeed 3's better 0.86g skid pad twirl and outstanding 69.3-mph slalom performance.

Either way, there's no denying the Mazdaspeed 3's torque steer on launch, but in most every other respect, the combination of the DISI's flexible power band and the sure-shifting six-speed gearbox is significantly better — and ultimately quicker — than the Subaru

I think it's quite manageable and it scored better than the 2008 WRX. Here's a comparison between the 2008 WRX and the Mazdaspeed 3:

As it is, the WRX's 0.81g skid pad and 67.7-mph blast through the slalom are solid, but not up to the Mazdaspeed 3's better 0.86g skid pad twirl and outstanding 69.3-mph slalom performance.

Either way, there's no denying the Mazdaspeed 3's torque steer on launch, but in most every other respect, the combination of the DISI's flexible power band and the sure-shifting six-speed gearbox is significantly better — and ultimately quicker — than the Subaru

I think the drivers said they'd prefer the wrx in performance tests if it had better tires.

car for sale. PM me!

I had a Mazda3 s before my Legacy (not the speed3) and had to have the fuel pump replaced twice in less then a year. Don't know if the MS3 has better fuel pump (probably) than the s model, but 2 fuel pumps in a year seemed a bit excessive.

270hp to the front wheels is just ridiculous....all you do is lose your power due to the lack of traction...and those who've owned or driven the 5.5/6 gen Maxima know all about how dangerious and downright scary torque steer is...why didn't they go awd on the speed3 like they did on the speed6.....both fugly cars anyway...

I'm replacing my Mazda3s with an 05 LGT wagon. I looked pretty hard at the Speed3, but in the end the Legacy was just a better fit. Better interior quality, more comfortable seating (for me, anyway), AWD (definite bonus in Colorado), more cargo room, and less $$$ up front.

My Mazda experience has been a dream; 3.5 years/53k miles and all I've had to replace are tires, a windshield (another Colorado trait), and a battery. Compared to the N/A model, the MS3 has a noticeably stiffer ride, increased handling, solid braking, and plenty of power. Lots of torque steer, though. Early models did have some problems with engine mounts; from what I've read they used the same hardware as the standard Mazda3 line. Don't know if that's still true, however.

Depending on your particular wants and needs, I'd say it's a close call. If you can live without AWD, want that 6th gear, can give up some interior comfort, and live with higher depreciation, then the Speed3 is for you. If you're looking at something to mod heavily (MS3 platform is already pushed to its limits IMO), or want the added performance/safety of AWD, stick with the Legacy.

Guest JessterCPA

One of my banking contacts is on his 2nd MS3 (His first was totaled in a highway/big rig incident). He is in love with the car. The power. The reliability. The safety. He likes the fact that it's a compact, and very nimble/manuverable, yet has power of a larger sedan. He has 2 kids, and space is A-OK.

Good luck.

Jesse

I would really love to hear details of the annoyances that are making you want to get rid of your LGT, because I'm very interested in buying an '05 LGT.

Also, you should read this article: http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=3280

I know it's a Speed 6 vs. a Spec B, but I think it's an important read. Why don't you consider buying a Spec B? You might want to after reading the article.

I do not recommend the Mazda as I had a bed experience with my mx6. It was an older model but nevertheless the engine has failed me at 90,000 miles.

I drive the 05 legacy GT and have about 35,000 on it and think about selling it and getting a German car. I had many little problems with my Legacy so far and every time I bring it to the dealer, I have to bring it back another two times so the problem gets somewhat fixed. I have kept all my papers from Burlington Subaru as a proof. When ever they can not fix something like the stutter problem on all of the 05-07 GT models for example, they say it is normal. What is going to happen when my warranty expires and I have to pay for all of those visits? Maybe I should move in with them or buy a house next to my dealer. I recomend paying the extra money and getting a real car like BMW or even the Volkswagen which is one of the most basic and cheapest cars in Germany but still better than any Japanese or American car. Thats probably because Ford invented the car and not Mr. Benz.( hahah)

Good luck man and I think I know why you want to get rid of your SUBARU.

Archived