LegacyGT.com

Fuel Gauge question

the fuel senders on these car are really bad after a while. usually they shoe E when there are still 4-5 gals in the tank. you hit E and fill up and it only takes 12 gals . the tanks in the 90s hold 15.9 gal US or 60L.

there are 2 senders, since the gas tank strattles the drive shaft. some folks have had good luck using an exxon product, Techron fuel treatment system injector cleaner. or something like that. i had a 95 that sat for a year and the gauge did not work at all. a bottle of techron and it came back. it still hits E too early but at least it works.

i use the trip meter to keep track how far i have gone and my low fuel light comes on at about 14 gals gone, 2 gals left.

have you seen the low fuel light yet?

I like how you didn't actually answer his question, lol. Mine, when I fill up, does actually sit juuuust above the full line. Generally when I get past the empty line, I have around 2-3 gallons left (that's around when the light comes on) which I think isn't too far off from what it's supposed to show as I'm fairly certain these cars have a 2 gallon reserve (meaning when they show empty, you still have two gallons left in the tank.)

My fill up puts the needle just above the F. As mentioned before, when the gauge reads empty, fill-up (on my car) takes 12 gallons and some change. Rarely do I see the orange low fuel light illuminate.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Mine will go just above the "F" mark then it will drop below the "E" when it is empty.

My car never shows the low fuel light. I have a 5mt and I've put in two different speedo's and neither showed a low fuel light. The car will start to hesitate/skip in acceleration on inclines. Screw waiting for the low fuel light. I fill up before that happens anymore.

Thanks for the replies so it looks like there is a problem then cause it definitely sits below fuel after I fill it up

My fuel gauge goes down to below E and usually takes about 50 Liters leaving 10 Liters that must be left in the tank which I figured out to be about 2 gallons apparently.

My fuel light comes on but its temperamental it will only come on when its extremely low and it is staying still in the same position for quite a while the second I drive it will go away

try the techron product. it can't hurt and it might help. it started my 95 gauge working again. it took a few days though. it went from dead to showing about 1/3 on the first day and finally showing full in a couple of days.

the fuel senders on these car are really bad after a while. usually they shoe E when there are still 4-5 gals in the tank. you hit E and fill up and it only takes 12 gals . the tanks in the 90s hold 15.9 gal US or 60L.

mine does this and it is annoying. the low fuel light pops on at about 12.5 gallons tho too, which also annoys me. i decided to run it till it died one time, sputtered out so i put a gallon in and went to the station. 13.5 gallons. i have no idea. 15.9 gallons doesnt seem to work in my 95 L wagon.

but when i fill the tank, it will go up to the top for a bit then settle down about just below the F. then it will sit at 3/4 tank for a while, then bounce around between E and half until it settles down to 1/4 tank. then it will show empty for about 70 miles before i get the low fuel light.

try the techron product. it can't hurt and it might help. it started my 95 gauge working again. it took a few days though. it went from dead to showing about 1/3 on the first day and finally showing full in a couple of days.

Wonder if ill be able to find it in Australia, I can't seem to find any info atm so is it just for the pure reason to fix the fuel gauge or is it an injector cleaner.

are you spose to have a Full tank or empty when the stuff is put in?

Thanks

so is it just for the pure reason to fix the fuel gauge or is it an injector cleaner.

They make two. One is fuel injector cleaner, and one is fuel system cleaner. You want the system cleaner. They recommend a 1oz to 1 Gallon Cleaner to Fuel ratio, and it's available in 12z and 20oz bottles here in the US

Archived