LegacyGT.com

What is the official name for the needle wave?

Natha

Hey guys, what is the official term for the needle wave on your gauges when your car starts, some newer models do it, my mates 2006 Legacy does it. Also is it possible to somehow modify my 2002 legacy to needle wave upon start?

Edit: may have been slightly unclear, pretty much when the car starts all gauges go to max and back down. Purely cosmetic.

Because all the gauges in the 4th gen and newer legacies are all electronic, the gauge sweep is made possible. This is largely due to the DBW (drive by wire) interface. Your gauges are still somewhat mechanical in nature, especially your speedo- therefore, if the wheels aren't spinning, it doesn't register anything, hence, no gauge sweep.

I'm pretty sure no one calls it that.

Gauge manufacturers call it that (Glowshift, Prosport, etc.) - it was referred to that when the STi first had the gauge sweep thing when it hit the USDM market in 2004 - back then, lots of folks were adding the gauge cluster from an STi to their WRX just to get that... pretty funny!

Don't forget Autometer and Autogauge and I am sure there are others...

I believe the STi gauge cluster (at least the one that came in the 04 STi) was actually made by Defi...

Defi has a closing ceremony, too!

I do know for a fact it is possible to make 3rd generation cars do it. Not with the stock ecu though sadly, have seem a heavily modified one with a link ecu that does it, is a programmable option with them.

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

Archived