LegacyGT.com

6th Gen Tuning Thread

I'd also like to give a special thanks to my friend BeastCoast for installing the tune for me and sharing his Tactrix cable. Definitely came through for me these past few days. I no longer feel deserted in a State full of WRX/STI fan boys.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Anytime man! Glad I could help out. Let me know when you get that update and we'll get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@BeastCoast1

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. I get WRX/STI owners opening their windows to wave to me or give the thumbs up to me

You most certainly don't live in Massachusetts then haha. I've waved at an STi before and gotten a middle finger from them. Probably thought I was an old man in my legacy telling them to slow down

@BeastCoast1

You most certainly don't live in Massachusetts then haha. I've waved at an STi before and gotten a middle finger from them. Probably thought I was an old man in my legacy telling them to slow down

Hahahahaha. I live in the Minnesota(nice) ;)

I disagree. I get WRX/STI owners opening their windows to wave to me or give the thumbs up to me

That's because you live in Minnesota, where it takes 30 minutes for anyone to move at a 4-way stop sign, because everyone is being nice to everyone else and insisting they go first. Lived there for 4 years. This is Dallas area now. In the 3 years I've been here, I've spotted more exotic cars than other Legacies :lol:

That's because you live in Minnesota, where it takes 30 minutes for anyone to move at a 4-way stop sign, because everyone is being nice to everyone else and insisting they go first. Lived there for 4 years. This is Dallas area now. In the 3 years I've been here, I've spotted more exotic cars than other Legacies :lol:

Was just in Dallas not too long ago. Agree on both points haha

Well we've changed the title of this thread to no longer be exclusive to 2.5NA so we now expect/encourage other 3.6R owners to get on board!

I didn't want you to feel like you shouldn't post in here RobbieGT - we are all really envious of you with your tuned 3.6 :)

18hp improvement over stock but it appears torque hasn't changed. I didn't get a printout, deal was just for three pulls. Their printer wasn't setup. I have a video of one of the pulls. I was mainly recording on my nice camera. I'll have a YouTube video up of the show that will have all three in it. I'll post the link in here when it goes uphttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160823/ca37d1ede0d20fb953c33fb84d30cd89.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160823/7b01f2d8a42a43d0696571f208d80eb4.jpghttps://vimeo.com/179846811

Robbie when you do get your new tune file, I'd recommend doing a reset on the system.

Procedure here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/reset-cvt-fuzzy-logic-procedure-253390.html?t=253390

I ran into some issues having run a tank of lower octane fuel and the ECU cut back power even after I had refilled with a number of tanks of higher octane rating.

Robbie when you do get your new tune file, I'd recommend doing a reset on the system.

Procedure here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/reset-cvt-fuzzy-logic-procedure-253390.html?t=253390

I ran into some issues having run a tank of lower octane fuel and the ECU cut back power even after I had refilled with a number of tanks of higher octane rating.

Great info! I'm waiting on the same thing myself. Wouldve been real disappointing had I not seen this.

@BeastCoast1

One more question. after the reset, would i have to then reflash whatever tune i was running previous to the reset or does that stay imbedded in "memory" until I flash over it?

Thanks!

@BeastCoast1

One more question. after the reset, would i have to then reflash whatever tune i was running previous to the reset or does that stay imbedded in "memory" until I flash over it?

Thanks!

No need to reflash the tune. These are "default" settings in memory that don't get cleared even when you disconnect the battery.

The only way to set them back to "factory" is to run it through the reset procedure.

Because I'd run it on some lower octane fuel my car had remembered the poor quality fuel and then wasn't letting it make more power even when I was running on the "good" gas.

Thanks for posting that BeastCoast. Do you pay for each new tune he releases?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

No sir. Pay once, updates for the life of the vehicle. But don't expect updates all the time either, only if there is some tweak that has been made with gains sufficient enough to warrant an update. You may go a while without one. But I assure you the 1st tune I received was worth the amount alone.

@BeastCoast1

$169+ shipping for the Tactrix Cable

$191ish USD for the tune

He charges in $AUD so it depends what the exchange rate is at the time.

Even if you have to buy a Tactrix cable (which you could resell), it still works out ridiculously cheap for the improvement you're getting.

Do you guys recommend waiting to do the tune until the factory warranty is up?

I asked Tigger about that before I did it. The short answer is it doesn't matter. In order for them to deny a warranty claim it has to be proven that the modification was responsible for the warrantable issue. A lot of times I've noticed (in my research, not personal experience) it is cheaper and less of a headache to approve the request. If they don't want to they will have to find irrefutable evidence that your mod caused a failure which will take labor hours which = money. At the chance your mod is not at fault, they lose all time and money invested in attempting to deny the claim.

@BeastCoast1

Do you guys recommend waiting to do the tune until the factory warranty is up?

Here's my thoughts on the whole warranty thing:

1) If you wait until your warranty is up and then you break it there is possibly no difference if you break it under warranty - you're still likely going to have to pay to get it fixed. The only difference is you have driven a stock car around for 3 years in the meantime.

2) I'd generally advise people to wait until after the first service. Get everything checked over, make sure there's no oil leaks in the engine/drivetrain. If there are get them fixed. Then when you're happy that everything was put together right from factory go for it. Of course there is always a risk but that is the chance that you take.

3) I change my cars every 3 years so if I waited until my warranty was up I'd never do anything.

4) There are very few issues with the engine/drivetrains on these cars. If there were you would have heard about them on this forum for sure. Your wind noise and sticky fuel filler flap will still be covered under warranty. Given that we're not talking about massive increases in power/torque the likelihood of anything going wrong is small. But that's a calculated risk that only you can make and for each person their level of safety/risk taking is going to be different.

5) I have no regrets getting tuned. I've run for 9 months and ~15,000miles with no issues. Enjoyed every minute of it :D

Edited by tigger73

So has anyone uploaded the tune with a Mac? Most automotive software I've come across is on PC compatibly

You would use the Tactrix openport 2.0 and The program you would be using is ECU Flash (1.44 I think) off of the Tactrix Website. On the website it says the following:

EcuFlash version 1.38 for Mac OSX is provided for legacy OpenPort 1.3 cable support only. There is currently no EcuFlash support for the OpenPort 2.0 pending necessary OSX driver development. Alternately, EcuFlash 1.44 will work by running parallels on OSX.

Sounds like it will work with Mac but there are some additional steps you need to take. I would try contacting them but just know, the whole company is only 2 guys so they might not get back to you for a day or 2. Hope this helps

Edited by BeastCoast
@BeastCoast1

I asked Tigger about that before I did it. The short answer is it doesn't matter. In order for them to deny a warranty claim it has to be proven that the modification was responsible for the warrantable issue. A lot of times I've noticed (in my research, not personal experience) it is cheaper and less of a headache to approve the request. If they don't want to they will have to find irrefutable evidence that your mod caused a failure which will take labor hours which = money. At the chance your mod is not at fault, they lose all time and money invested in attempting to deny the claim.

Here's my thoughts on the whole warranty thing:

1) If you wait until your warranty is up and then you break it there is possibly no difference if you break it under warranty - you're still likely going to have to pay to get it fixed. The only difference is you have driven a stock car around for 3 years in the meantime.

2) I'd generally advise people to wait until after the first service. Get everything checked over, make sure there's no oil leaks in the engine/drivetrain. If there are get them fixed. Then when you're happy that everything was put together right from factory go for it. Of course there is always a risk but that is the chance that you take.

3) I change my cars every 3 years so if I waited until my warranty was up I'd never do anything.

4) There are very few issues with the engine/drivetrains on these cars. If there were you would have heard about them on this forum for sure. Your wind noise and sticky fuel filler flap will still be covered under warranty. Given that we're not talking about massive increases in power/torque the likelihood of anything going wrong is small. But that's a calculated risk that only you can make and for each person their level of safety/risk taking is going to be different.

5) I have no regrets getting tuned. I've run for 9 months and ~15,000miles with no issues. Enjoyed every minute of it :D

Great info, thanks guys! I already went for the first oil change and there was nothing wrong. Sounds like it's definitely going to be worth the slight risk!

So has anyone uploaded the tune with a Mac? Most automotive software I've come across is on PC compatibly

***Update***

I contacted Tactrix about this question. They have yet to get back to me but out of curiousity I looked into it myself. It seems as if from this site (https://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/buy/?new) You would need to purchase Windows for your Mac for $79.99 which would allow you to run a Windows window on your Mac. In doing this anything downloaded or operated within that window would operate as if it were being used on a Windows PC.

****UPDATE TO UPDATE****

Got an emai back. See below:

Michael Poreda, Aug 24, 10:41 PDT:

Hello Timothy,

Thanks for your interest in our products. Right now our current software is not OSX compatible. We have a version that will be but I'm not sure of the release date. I'm hoping this year but timing of the release is a bit complicated to predict. You can run parallels on the Mac. Many people use our software on a Mac by running parallels.

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/

If all else fails, you could get a used Windows laptop. Anything from XP onward should be fine, so any Windows laptop made in the past decade will work. You could probably pick up a used one that would work for less than $50. Let me know if you have any other questions I can help with.

Regards,

Michael

parallells.PNG.452dadee587d1db5280d2d91b74b0174.PNG

Edited by BeastCoast
@BeastCoast1