LegacyGT.com

new stereo for 99 Outback - do I have to lose the "pocket" space?

CindyB

I want to replace the original car stereo, but after looking at it, I am wondering if I can, (or should). The original is just a radio/cassette/weather band, and there is a storage space pocket beneath the stereo. If I have a new unit installed, do they (Best Buy, Circuit City, wohoever) generally preserve this storage area? I would hate to lose that - I really need it.

Thanks, but not sure I understood your answer. Sorry if I'm being dense. :-(

If I purchase a replacement unit (say a Pioneer or something like that) and Best Buy installs it, will I still have the storage pocket or will they cover that up with their "universal mount" (that I am assuming these places all use). The unit would not be one of the wide ones, at least to me it appears that it would fit in the same space.

Are you saying that they DO add on a pocket section if they need to? That they do NOT cover it up with some sort of universal mount?

If they are any good at all, the new radio will take the place of the old radio (assuming you buy a standard size DIN radio and not a 1.5 DIN or "double DIN") and the pocket will remain. If they can't assure you of this, then go someplace else. Isntalling a new radio is a pretty straight forward thing so don't pay any real money for them to install the radio.

Archived