LegacyGT.com

need good quality tune

stikiller

i live in mi and am almost done with the engine rebuild on my 05 lgt that being not tuned right smoked my #4 piston. i need to find a good tuner besides speedindustry or maybe somebody that lives in the area that knows how to tune and data log i would like to learn to if willing to help me. mods r as follows perrin tmic,perrin lt wgt crank pulley,hks recirculating blow off,spt cold air intake system,greddy sp2 catless full exhaust system,and 4 into 1 headers,je 100m oversize forge pistons,helix rods,

Also in a place like Florida, the SPT intake is going to pull much hotter air pretty much all the time than a stock airbox would. If you really want to keep an intake on the car, consider one that relocates the filter element out of the engine bay.

I wonder if your tuning issue was similar to the one outlined here: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101428

Dave

I'll get this out of the way first. Cobb puts a lot of work into their off the shelf maps and there was nothing dangerous about the Cobb maps before those changes were made. People running the off the shelf tunes should not be scared by that post.

Cobb expects that any tuner who is going to alter a stock map or a Cobb map, and load it on a customer's vehicle, will make sure the tune runs safely when they're done with it.

The danger occurs when a tuner takes a Cobb map and makes it more aggressive to achieve greater performance, without altering certain tables in the calibration accordingly. In that case, some people pushed the timing advance too far considering other settings in the ECU including the individual trims.

If a calibration causes detonation which damages an engine, the customer doesn't much care if it's because the main timing map, the dynamic advance maps, or the cylinder ignition trim maps were too aggressive. Any way you slice it there was too much timing advance in one or more cylinders and the engine needs to come out of the car for repair/replacement.

Any tuner offering a custom tune is responsible for the ECU calibration. I respect the guys at Cobb, but never assume that the settings in their off the shelf maps are appropriate considering other changes I'm going to make to a calibration. Their calibration is a complete system as is anyone else's. When it comes to tuning, you change one thing and then X others need changed accordingly. You cannot assume that a stock value or a Cobb off the shelf value will remain safe after you alter other things. For example, increase the boost targets and you have to alter wastegate duty cycles, multiple ignition timing tables, AVCS tables and so on to re-optimize a tune.

The same goes for functions and values we cannot see/edit in the software, because we can see their result if we're looking for it. From the beginning we could monitor knock with ProTUNER. You can also monitor knock with det cans, external knock detection devices, read plugs, and so on. Before Cobb added support for altering individual cylinder trims, good tuners didn't need to know what the individual trims were doing to make a safe tune. You tune the car so it doesn't knock. That has not changed. Whether it's knocking on one cylinder or all four does not change the fact that knock will tear your engine up, given the chance. I don't think anyone will argue that having one cracked piston in their stock engine is truly significantly better than having two cracked pistons. A good quality upgraded forged piston is around 100-150 bucks. The labor on a shortblock remove/reinstall, shortblock rebuild with machining, plus your downtime...thousands.

-Mike

Well said Mike. I didn't mean to imply that the Cobb map's ignition timing was the only cause of the OPs failure, but that it may have been a contributing factor if the tuner wasn't adjusting those values to comply with the other adjustments.

Just out of curiosity, what does it take to be a Cobb authorized tuner?

Well said Mike. I didn't mean to imply that the Cobb map's ignition timing was the only cause of the OPs failure, but that it may have been a contributing factor if the tuner wasn't adjusting those values to comply with the other adjustments.

Just out of curiosity, what does it take to be a Cobb authorized tuner?

I didn't feel you were implying that at all. :) A bunch of members were posting in that thread saying they were worried because they had been running Cobb OTS maps.

You'd have to ask Cobb what their criteria is as I'm not sure, but that's a great question. I was one of the original tuners who ordered it before it was available several years ago. I remember being asked questions about my tuning experience in general and specifically with Subarus since originally ProTUNER only supported Subarus. I was asked about my facility and more, but it's been so long that I can't remember specifics.

In terms of remaining a ProTUNER, I'm not sure what those criteria are either. They must have some minimum allowed standards since I do know that a tuner in Connecticut was recently removed from Cobb's list of authorized tuners.

Archived