LegacyGT.com

Dash Melt Down

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perfect timing for me to receive the letter; I JUST started observing the beginning symptoms of the melting dash issue. Interested to see how the results are from those who have already gone in to have this replaced.

stopped by the dealer for the airbag and dashboard - Im on a list for the airbag parts (of course they are not in, no eta). he also said the dash is on back-order, but it did allow him to put an order in under my name so one would be allocated and shipped out when available. I'll keep you posted on how long it takes, etc.

My '06 doesn't suffer from a sticky dashboard since its been garaged for most of its life and when it's out in the sun, I almost always put the sunshade up. This is great news for all of you who do have this problem!

Now, if only VW would follow suit and do the same for all New Beetle owners whose Bugs have the same problem! My wife's '04 that we just bought has the sticky dash syndrome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bought my car with some scratches and chunks taken out of the dash from a dog probably. I don't have the sticky dash syndrome but how can I get it so they give me a new dash?? Hahah

ten points for Subaru for stepping up and taking responsibility for their product. And to think this has pushed me to seriously considering a focus RS. I plan to wait as long as I can so I can get the most life out of this replacement dash. I assume that they are new old stock production dashes Subaru is installing and the same fate awaits the replacement dashes in 6years or so unless Subaru has some magic dash pad stabilizer they are including.

so glad I can truly love my car again :spin:http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee341/Vinylpervert/833654ac-dfa0-47ff-ab92-06dfa258e094_zpsrzphgjcs.jpg

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee341/Vinylpervert/3289066b-f6a8-4525-95b2-3adc061e2c79_zpsagpltcnx.jpg

Edited by black pearl
add letter

Bought my car with some scratches and chunks taken out of the dash from a dog probably. I don't have the sticky dash syndrome but how can I get it so they give me a new dash?? Hahah

Our 05 has similar small scratches and chunks in it, but also some small cracks starting at the edges. I called a dealer to see if this is also covered under this and they said to bring it by and they'll take a look at it. So I am going to try to do that later today and see what they say.

Our 05 has similar small scratches and chunks in it, but also some small cracks starting at the edges. I called a dealer to see if this is also covered under this and they said to bring it by and they'll take a look at it. So I am going to try to do that later today and see what they say.

Interested in the results, mines fucccked like this too.

It specifically states in the letter that it is a "warranty extension", not a recall - therefore; it will only be replaced if considered a factory default, NOT wear and tear or damage. I wouldn't expect any dealers to replace a dash unless the dash is in otherwise reasonable condition. If a dealer makes an exception and SOA doesn't agree, the dealer will likely be forced to eat the cost, but YMMV.

Interested in the results, mines fucccked like this too.

I took the car over yesterday and the service manage confirmed my dash is not melted or sticky its just 10+ years old. So not covered.

After a quick search on Google for pics of legacy dashes that had the issue I didn't think mine would be covered, but took it to the dealer just to make sure.

Well, I would theorize that the dash gets sticky due to continued heat exposure from the sun. Maybe try taking a heat gun to it and see if that makes it sticky?

No gloss > rattles

Rattles can be fixed.

+1 on the rattles! Mine's not sticky but it does have a slight rattling, particularly on the driver's side, close to the windshield. Seems to have gotten worse over the winter. I'll have to see if it subsides now that it's getting warmer out.

I took the car over yesterday and the service manage confirmed my dash is not melted or sticky its just 10+ years old. So not covered.

After a quick search on Google for pics of legacy dashes that had the issue I didn't think mine would be covered, but took it to the dealer just to make sure.

I wonder what the difference is...

Does it get tacky/shiny when parked under the sun for a while?

I wonder what the difference is...

Does it get tacky/shiny when parked under the sun for a while?

eventually it gets so bad that its shiny and sticky all the time - even in winter and in the shade. the rubber literally melts to a point where it changes its form and remains nasty. if a leaf or piece of hair lands on it, you can't wipe it off. literally feels as sticky as cheap duct tape all over, and is soft and tacky to the touch.

does that help explain it further? for the record, this car has been in the CA (and now AZ heat) its whole life, and seen plenty of sun - likely without a sunshade. Now that I own it, and after the new dash is installed I will always be using a sunshade when parking outside.

See that's my concern - in the summer mine gets tacky and shiny (more shiny than tacky) but it's just likely going to progress, albeit at a rate slower than those in California or Florida, Texas.. wherever...

I'd say a dash that gets tacky in the sun has already "failed" and should be warrantied.

even putting up/taking down my sun visor leaves huge streaks across my sticky dash now

i can't take it anymore, i am going to buy a dash cover. most of them look hideous...but at least i have a black interior. anybody got any ideas on the least noticeable material?

I started noticing this on my 08 this summer. The whole surface, in addition to being sticky is softening, to the point where there are now light marks from pulling the sunshade in and out.

This car's been in Georgia its whole life, FWIW.

Since my car hasn't seen the sun sitting in the garage this winter, I too have noticed lighter lines specifically from where my sunshade contacts the dash. I also notice light marks along both corners of the dash on a 45*. It doesn't seem tacky to me, but something is obviously failing. Garage kept forever. 53k miles. Goddamn you Subaru.

I took mine in yesterday. It took all of 5 minutes including checking in and inspection for him to qualify me and set up an order. The plan is to replace the airbag and dash at the same time.

I use sun visors nearly 100% of the time when parked for more than a few minutes.

You can see how the visors have some small gaps that allow direct sunlight to hit the dash:

http://i.imgbox.com/y82OnCwG.jpg

http://i.imgbox.com/6mEDQ7XA.jpg

Here is where it is shiny and super sticky - the same spots left exposed with the visors in place. It gets so sticky that attempting to remove the visors has resulted in tearing holes in them. The rest of the dash is tacky and impossible to clean.

http://i.imgbox.com/ReXHGBX0.jpg

Edited by landark

Oh, and stop futzing around with those shades and get one of these: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/covercraft-uvs100-heat-shield-32991.html

:D

The problem I have with those is that you have to put the car's sun visors down to hold it up. I've had to replace all the driver's sun visors on all my cars, so I'm now only using ones I can tuck in and not have to fold them down.

Not sure why you don't think yours would qualify. If it's sticky you should be covered. Wait until this summer on a hot day and take it in.

It'd be nice if people post photos of the problems that qualify for repair, and those that don't.

Here is an additional pic and a gif to show how shiny / sticky my dash is. the dealership took 5 seconds to look at it and put an order in for a dash. waiting on parts now, no ETA.

check out the glare on the windshield from the dash...

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv185/coldsoda/IMG_20160318_104143396_zpsaatpdjej.jpg

this quick gif is on top of the instrument cluster:

http://i.imgur.com/OeZ4D3T.gif

Edited by coldsoda