LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy Limited Dual Zone Climate issue

Hey, all

I just purchased a 2005 Legacy Limited. The car is in pretty good shape, but has some niggling issues.

Had a cruise control problem, but sorted that one out.

Car needs new clutch, timing belt, and water pump. That's next weekend's project.

But the last one is kind of annoying. The dual zone climate is not working properly.

Left side works fine. it heats, gets nice and toasty, cools, all the vent doors work properly and respond to temp changes.

The right side does not get warm.

Any ideas for troubleshooting/swapping sensors/components to isolate what is wrong?

Thank you

Naaa, I'm not thinking the heater core. If that was true the temp level would be the same on both sides, or lack of temp.

I'm guessing you have a electrical issue, could be a sensor and the controls.

I'd check the controls first.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

An 05 I was going to purchase had this issue. It's something related to the component that controls air flow from the core to each side of the car's HVAC. IIRC the fix was about 1300 bucks in parts and labor and the majority of the dash had to come out. I know thats not what you want to hear but it may save you some headache to troubleshoot.

PM Lockmedic. I believe he has dealt with this before.

??????????????????????????????????? What on earth are you talking about? There is no "driver side" and "passenger side" to a heater core. Flushing it is not a bad idea but there is only one heater core. I wouldn't do the CLR thing. Hydrochloric acid and aluminum don't get along well at all.

OP, there is a blend door for heating/cooling on each side (DS & PS) and most likely either your PS blend door is sticking shut or is broken and occasionally will open due to bouncing around and knocking itself into position to allow it to still align enough to work once in a while. If you have heat on one side, the heat is there, it's just not coming out of the proper vent side. I would bet that if you put the A/C on the floor on the PS, you won't have that either. There is a mode door actuator that could possibly be bad too. Check around under the dash.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4580125&postcount=3

OK here it is. Before the winter of 12/13 I noticed that the right side stayed cooler. I flushed the heck out of it and that helped. Before this winter I flushed it again. it helped but it still blew cold air out of the right side of the car. I let that Prestone stuff soak over night. I even tried the CLR for 8 hours.

I had the dealer check the controls and they said there were fine, Then the dealer said they called their Subaru Tech line and they said it was most likely a clogged heater core.

I ordered it and replaced it (as always with the help of my nephew). After we had the old one out we took it over to a stationary sink, ran hot water through it and the passenger side of the core remained cold, the driver side got really hot. We installed the new heater core and there is heat out of every vent.

It may not make sense, but I promise you your heater core is clogged.

Archived