LegacyGT.com

New CA Smog OBDII Info Thread

Diavolo

It just depends on the region IF they have the new gear and adopt it as standard.

Now there's the new test, but how to pass an OBD1 and older cars before the exemption cutoff? They have to keep running a sniffer on those cases.

To be fair shops are going to be forced to run pipe test for a long time. Later probably charging more for it to keep phasing out this range of cars.

• 3 months later...
Not understanding... The car was not ready or the new test system wasn't ready?

Sounds like the OBDII system said "not ready" due to not enough miles between ECU resets. Happened with our '08 Caravan 3 months ago (1st smog check) which really surprised me, since we had 600+ miles since the last ECU reset. But, a couple of tests weren't passing (Car gauge pro app confirmed this). After looking up drive cycle, I had to idle for 10-15 minutes at 2000 rpm, then drive with no accessories for 15 minutes, etc. An hour later, it was ready and passed during the re-test.

My LGT is showing ready (and due for smog - just got the notice). Hopefully that's all it needs, and won't check for disabled CELs...

The problem for anyone who is stage 2 is there is still a visual inspection. That means you will need to remove the downpipe at a minimum and flash a compatible map. At that point for me it makes sense to go back stock even for the new test.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

The problem for anyone who is stage 2 is there is still a visual inspection. That means you will need to remove the downpipe at a minimum and flash a compatible map. At that point for me it makes sense to go back stock even for the new test.

You can drive a few miles on a stock cat on a tune. Means you avoid the whole readiness code thing.

True. I currently have gutted pipes (UP and DP), 650cc injectors and a bnr16g (and walbro). I've passed 2x this way with no issues. However, this time, they're doing the OBD2 scan, instead of the sniffer. As long as I can pass the scanner part, I know I can pass the visual.

After I pass, I have a CNT DP ready to go in (and a grimmspeed as soon as it ships).. Yes, I know, I'll have to swap it out again in 2 years, but.. I think I can live with that..

^^That's what I did. I just installed my stock cat back (left my tune alone) and drive nice and easy (keeping it under 3000 RPM's) over to the smog shop and passed with flying colors.

Did you do this with the sniffer or the rollers?

Alright, we need a sacrificial lamb. My SMOG isn't due for a year, so not it ;)

Will probably be me.. My smog is due by Jan 18. I guess I could put stock pipes back on and adjust my 650cc tune to re-enable various CELs if needed..

True. I currently have gutted pipes (UP and DP), 650cc injectors and a bnr16g (and walbro). I've passed 2x this way with no issues. However, this time, they're doing the OBD2 scan, instead of the sniffer. As long as I can pass the scanner part, I know I can pass the visual.

After I pass, I have a CNT DP ready to go in (and a grimmspeed as soon as it ships).. Yes, I know, I'll have to swap it out again in 2 years, but.. I think I can live with that..

I had to take my Grimmspeed off a couple times to get the fitment right for the wastegate. It's not that bad.

After some more reading, I think I'll reflash my not-as-good AP1 based tune so that I keep the same CalID/CVN as previous SMOG test, and try to pass that way (after sensors are ready). If that doesn't do it, I'm SOL and will have to go back to stock. Most of that is easy, except for the injectors..

Ok, decided to bite the bullet and just go for it. Turns out the place I took the Grand Caravan to is a STAR Test station. Anyway, WOOHOO - I passed! In an out in approx 10 minutes. $40 later including certificate, and I'm all good. Definitely the NEW test (no sniffer).

Mods (that would affect SMOG testing, there are some others)

BNR16g

DW650cc injectors

gutted OEM DP

catless UP (with EGT fix, IIRC, but also DTC disabled in the tune)

hybrid TA/throttlehappy open source tune

He took 1 or 2 quick peeks under the car, a quick peek under the hood, revved it a couple of times and checked for smoke, and all good.

Wow, I can relax now, and be happy keeping my car for a few more years. I'm just starting to REALLY enjoy it now that it's old enough that I can drive it a little more like I stole it without worrying too much about breaking anything.. 10 years (almost 110K miles) is a little on the low side for a car these days, but not atrociously bad :-)

Thanks to johnnyb from nasioc who confirmed that he passed a smog with a Cobb stage 1 tune, which gave me the courage to go try it. Such a load off my back!

If anyone needs a place that's cheap and usually has no waiting (near Santana Row) with a coupon for $31.75 + $8.25 certificate, PM me..

• 3 months later...

Update: I just did my smog test and passed under the new system!! :)

My car is pretty typical stage 2.....catted aftermarket downpipe, exhaust and upgraded intercooler and tune of course. I have gone to this shop in the past and have built up a pretty good relationship with them. In the past I always put back on my stock exhaust (but left everything else on) and passed with flying colors on the sniffer test. This time I did NOT take off my exhaust and just decided to try it out. I am super happy.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

Update: I just did my smog test and passed under the new system!! :)

My car is pretty typical stage 2.....catted aftermarket downpipe, exhaust and upgraded intercooler and tune of course. I have gone to this shop in the past and have built up a pretty good relationship with them. In the past I always put back on my stock exhaust (but left everything else on) and passed with flying colors on the sniffer test. This time I did NOT take off my exhaust and just decided to try it out. I am super happy.

You left the tune on, I assume? Cobb AP?

Was a visual performed?

Yes it was. But like I was saying...I have been there multiple times now and I have a good relationship with the guy. I have a feeling he went "easy" on me. He did not poke around in the engine bay, did not look at the up pipe or downpipe....just looked at my engine bay and walked around and looked at the exhaust from eye level. He then went on to the rest of the test. Super easy.

Edited by urfsin

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

Yes it was. But like I was saying...I have been there multiple times now and I have a good relationship with the guy. I have a feeling he went "easy" on me. He did not poke around in the engine bay, did not look at the up pipe or downpipe....just looked at my engine bay and walked around and looked at the exhaust from eye level. He then went on to the rest of the test. Super easy.

Lucky. Mine peered at the downpipe with a flashlight this year. Pisses me off that we can pass fine with all this on. but it's technically "illegal."