LegacyGT.com

HOWTO: Replace Power Steering fluid in 15 minutes

The service manual is vague and recommends a very complicated way of doing this, and I couldn't find any good walkthroughs for Subaru's. At 115k, my power steering fluid was black/brown and full of some particulates. At full lock it the accessory belt used to complain despite being new and adequately tightened, this no longer happens. Here is a better way, it can be done in 15 minutes and without getting under the car or unbolting the subframe braces.

You will need at least 1 qt of oil to do this. I used some left over Valvoline ATF to flush before I repeated the procedure with 1 qt Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF Dexron III.

1. Loosen/remove front accessory belt so you can turn the power steering pump with your finger. Since most of us don't have a belt tension tool, you can mark the thread of the tensioner bolt (on the top side) or feel the deflection by hand and match this for when you put it back on.

2. Jack up the front of the car at the center jack point so that the tires are just off the ground and the steering wheel can be turned freely with the engine off.

3. Pull the top hard line (return line) from the power steering fluid reservoir (On the GT this has some aluminum fins for cooling), this will allow you turn it towards the front and place a catch pan for the oil fluid underneath it.

4. Turn the power steering pump by hand, clockwise. Dirty fluid will come out of the return line. Keep turning it until the reservoir is basically empty and you can add new fluid. Try not to completely empty it, however it's not the end of the world if you do, as it will self bleed, and this procedure in itself will bleed air out of the system.

5. Add new fluid to the reservoir all the way to the top (past max). Repeat step 4 until new clean fluid comes out of the the return line.

6. Put the key in and turn it so the steering wheel is unlocked, but DO NOT START the engine.

7. Ensuring that you keep the reservoir full, turn the steering wheel from lock to lock using slow consistent pressure, taking several seconds to do so. Fluid will be pushed out of the rack and into your catch pan. A full reservoir is good for at least one full lock-lock. The fluid coming out will turn back to old fluid and then back to new.

8. Having gone from lock to lock at least once to left and once right, repeat the last step until no old fluid is expelled, once this happens, ensure you leave the reservoir at "COLD MAX" either by adding and removing fluid via turning the pump.

9. Put the return line and accessory belt back on.

Check the reservoir level after the next few drives. If you got air into the lines, it will drop, so top it off again.

Edited by Deer Killer

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
A quicker and most efficient way is to buy a vacuum bleeder and hook it up to a air compressor. Sucks out all the old fluid in seconds. It leaves no mess and easily done in minutes.

There's valving in the steering rack, no way you're getting all the old fluid out without turning the wheel from lock to lock. You would only get the oil fluid out of the lines to/from the rack, if that.

You do require to turn the steering wheel to full lock both directions. All the ones I've done has been successfully clean and no problems at all.

It helps if you have another person turn the steering wheel while the other is working with the bleeder to suck all the fluid out.

It's just another suggestion on doing the service without having to jack up the car and what not.

I have no control over drippie.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Just flushed mine today, I struggled getting the hose off of the hardline (I doubt it has ever been taken off). To make it more pliable I warmed up the rubber with a hair dryer and it made it much easier to remove.

• 5 months later...
I got it, I had to turn the wheel back and forth first, then spin the steering pump. It worked perfectly, appreciate the write up, I had thought I broke my steering pump. But this fixed it and now its working perfectly. Thanks again. My tools are at my friends garage and all I had were some shitty tools laying around, so this was the ideal way to do it.

Just curious, when I unplug the return line from the reservoir, am I to expect some fluid flowing out of the reservoir? I notice the pipe for the return line on the reservoir is below the fluid. Edited by _karu_

^Thanks for the tip. I'm planning to do this along with changing the O-Ring on the P/S pump.

On step #4, OP suggests not to empty the reservoir, but not completely empty it. So, at what point should I stop turning the power steering pump?

For example, should I stop when the old fluid is barely visible inside the reservoir? I imagine even with empty reservoir, there still would be fluid inside the hose, so, it still technically won't cause any problem.

Make sure it never goes empty.

I stopped when it wasn't pumping anything, and then I had to turn steering wheel a couple times then I would turn power steering pump again. Or when I saw the fresh fluid coming back out of return line. Basically fresh is going into reservoir and old is coming out of the line you pulled. So its more your discrepancy.

Just out of curiosity, would we be able to do this without taking off the belt by doing the following two men operation?

1. Person A take out the return hose and put it on the catch pan

2. Have person A stand by next to the opened reservoir with an opened bottle of P/S fluid (another bottle ready by his side).

3. Have person B start the car and remain seated inside car's driver's seat

3. As the engine running and P/S fluid starts flowing out of the catch pan, person A keeps filling up the reservoir with new fluid as it continues to go down, never to let it empty.

4. Have person B rotate the steering wheel lock to lock as person A keeps filling the reservoir with new fluid

5. Repeat step 3 and 4 until only new fluid comes out of the catch pan

6. Have person B turn off the car and person A re-connect the hose back into the reservoir

7. Drive the car around and top off the fluid as necessary.

What do you guys think?

Edited by _karu_

• 2 weeks later...

^Any comment on the method I described above?

Is it a good idea or not? I've never done this before and I have no clue what would happen if I do it the way I described it above.

• I Donated
^Any comment on the method I described above?

Is it a good idea or not? I've never done this before and I have no clue what would happen if I do it the way I described it above.

Won't work, the fluid is pumped too quickly