LegacyGT.com

Routine maintenance or a mechanic's upsell?

Looking for new snowtires, and decided to get a quote from my local independent shop.

The service writer gave me a quote and added $90 saying I would "absolutely" want to have an alignment performed particularly "since it's an all-wheel-drive vehicle."

The car, an 05 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed, has about 83,000 miles.

I've not noticed any uneven wear in the tires, and am thinking this sounds suspiciously like an upsell.

Even so, I thought I would check in here to see if getting an alignment every few years is a good idea, even if I'm not experiencing any problems.

Thoughts?

I had winter tires put on and no alignment was needed. I don't think it is a need if your car is driving straight, no uneven wear, and no shaking. If all of that is fine, then no need. Assuming he gets the balancing correct all will be well.

What kind of tires are you getting? I ended up getting Pirelli 240 Sottozero as I have the stock 18's.

Don't do it.

Never had mine done, I've had lots of different tires on her. If it ain't broke don't let them fix it.

Was it Town Fair Tire ? They like to do that. It's a quick $90.00 bucks for nothing.

Watch your tire wear, If you see something odd then take it in.

139,000 miles never had the car aligned. all my tires wear even.

my 00GT had 75,000 miles when I traded it. never has it aligned.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have my tires mounted by a the same trusted garage and install them myself.

GTTuner, I know you know what you doing. I'm just saying, I'd watch the tire wear.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

if the car tracks well you don't NEED an alignment, but it won't hurt anything. If the car is off enough it can cause uneven wear on your new tires. If you get one ask for the print out of before and after measurements.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I'm at 73k and got an alignment once when I hit a bad pothole and busted my front right sidewall. I got the printout afterwards and it showed, sure enough, ONLY my front right tire was out.

I agree that if it drives fine and doesn't vibrate it's fine... but of course you are going to get arguments on both sides.... I guess the better question is, what if you kept your all seasons... would you do an alignment just because? If I understand your post right, you are just putting on winters for the season.... so should you get an alignment AGAIN in spring when you switch back??

As a tech i personally always recommend an alignment w/ every set of new tires. At least have it measured to see if there is any caster/camber/toe issues. And $90.00 is cheap. We get $175 for an alignment (although 98-05 passats always kick my butt).

just my .02

As a tech i personally always recommend an alignment w/ every set of new tires.

And I always get one...

At least have it measured to see if there is any caster/camber/toe issues. And $90.00 is cheap. We get $175 for an alignment (although 98-05 passats always kick my butt).

I got a Bridgestone-Firestone lifetime alignment with a coupon for $99 in 2005:lol: (Sometimes can get a coupon for $149 or 129 these days)

I've my alignment done at least 4 times.:p

Archived