LegacyGT.com

Would It Rub?

SnowBound BP5

Ok, get your mind out of the gutter! :lol:

Hypothetically speaking, of course. Are you still going to be pretty safe if you put a set of 18x9 +35 wheels onto stock suspension? Does the tire choice matter in this case? (225/40 vs. 235/40)

Has anyone done something similar? Did it look really weird? I'm talking about the '05~'09 model.

With a +35 offset I would agree that they would stick out past the fender. On a similar note, why go with a 9" wide rim and have a minimal amount of tire on them? If you are heart set on going with a 225 or 235 tire why not play it safe with a higher offset such as +48 and an 8" or 7.5" wide rim. That would save on some unsprung wieght, you would have the same contact patch and not have to worry about rubbing.

If I were to go with a 9" wide rim I would squeeze at least a 245 or 255 tire on there. I am not a fan of the "stretched" look, just my opinion.

I had a feeling that would look goofy. But my main concern is rubbing. Just because the wheels (probably the front ones) stick out does it mean there will be rubbing?

I was thinking since a 235 tire is wider than 225, putting on the 235 would make the wheels stick out even more, no?

If it sticks out, when you turn it may rub unless you got a really stiff suspension. There's photos of Overboost's car in the "Legacy Photos" section in the thread "The Church of the Sooper Aggressive Legacy Setup". He's running 18x9 +35 and running -2.5 camber in front and -1.5 in the rear. He's lowered on coilovers though. He also had to roll/pull the fenders. You've got a wagon which means less clearance in the rear.

So even at stock height both rolling and pulling is required? That's the answer I was looking for, thanks.

at stock height with 255/35 44+ 18x9 the rears need to be rolled and pulled a bit to give more clearance when it compresses

but dont go x9 if ur only going 225, just go 18x8 +48 w/ 245/35

Hmm I think this is a matter of personal preference but I kinda prefer the slightly stretched look. :p I just think going 245 on an 8" wide wheel is too much...of course 255 is out of the question.

Personally I'm not really digging the typical size we're forced to take (18x8 +48, etc.). If I'm forced to go that route, I think I'll most likely slap on a set of +15mm spacers.

Hmm I think this is a matter of personal preference but I kinda prefer the slightly stretched look. :p I just think going 245 on an 8" wide wheel is too much...of course 255 is out of the question.

Personally I'm not really digging the typical size we're forced to take (18x8 +48, etc.). If I'm forced to go that route, I think I'll most likely slap on a set of +15mm spacers.

You will definitely need extended wheel studs with 15mm spacers. 5mm spacers you might be able to get away with the stock studs, but any more than that extended studs will be needed.

To be safe, I recommend rolling the front and rear fenders (no pull) to allow clearance for the tires. Also, given the information on your first post, stick with the 225/40 tire as it's closer to the stock wheel/tire height of the 17's, as the 235's would probably be a tight fit plus just a tad taller. Keep in mind, when your suspension compresses, wheels tend to camber in just a bit, and with stock height, you have quite a bit of room before anything should rub.

What it will look like without lowering is for you to deal with, just stating some information I used to decide my wheel fitment. Good luck!

You will definitely need extended wheel studs with 15mm spacers. 5mm spacers you might be able to get away with the stock studs, but any more than that extended studs will be needed.

Yes, you're right. When I said 15mm spacers I meant the ones that came w/ the studs. :)

Like this:

http://legacybp5.fc2web.com/sotomawari/turaichi/DSC02692.JPG

Thanks for the input. Yes, I'm aware that 225/40 18 is closer to stock spec. But do you think 225 on an 9" wide wheel would be stretching it a bit too much without offering a lot of protection? I'm really afraid without getting the car lowered it's going to look like some abominable bastard from the monster truck meet! :lol:

To be safe, I recommend rolling the front and rear fenders (no pull) to allow clearance for the tires. Also, given the information on your first post, stick with the 225/40 tire as it's closer to the stock wheel/tire height of the 17's, as the 235's would probably be a tight fit plus just a tad taller. Keep in mind, when your suspension compresses, wheels tend to camber in just a bit, and with stock height, you have quite a bit of room before anything should rub.

What it will look like without lowering is for you to deal with, just stating some information I used to decide my wheel fitment. Good luck!

Archived