LegacyGT.com

OEM Throttle body hose vs AVO Throttle body hose??

I was driving down the interstate and and all of a sudden, I hear what sounds kinda like a blow off valve coming from a turbo diesel truck every time I go into into boost. I knew it was a leak somewhere between the intercooler and the throttle body because it was coming the driver side of the engine bay. Come to find out the throttle body hose has blown a gasket on one side. So now, I am contemplating as to whether I should replace it with an OEM piece or the AVO piece below.

http://www.avoturboworld.com/images/stories/08_news_images/0808_sgt_inletpipe/silicone_007.jpg

My only engine mods now are a lightweight pulley and Cobb State 1 map. Everything else is bone stock and I got about 77K miles. This throttle body hose was used (definitely not new) when it was put on back in February.

Anyone with this experience wanna chime in?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got the AVO on mine and it works great. Not the easiest thing to install, but not impossible either. It just takes patience.

I did run the stock hose for quite a long time before I upgraded without any problems at about 18-19 lbs of boost. It's your choice. It sounds like your hose needs to be replaced. Pick the one that is cheaper and buy that.

I have found that a lot of cars have the TB hose improperly installed on the intake manifold from the factory, which leads to all srts of problems. Take some time and get it orientated correctly and it will work just fine. If you put the AVO on one in the wrong orientation it won't work well either.

When I had the Perrin TM my OE hose worked flawlessly after I got the correct clamps and the hose position figuired out.

I thought I had it on their properly, its just that when I went from Stage 3 back to stock (stage 1), I installed used parts and this particular hose I must have either over tightened, or not positioned right, not sure.

I have found that a lot of cars have the TB hose improperly installed on the intake manifold from the factory, which leads to all srts of problems. Take some time and get it orientated correctly and it will work just fine. If you put the AVO on one in the wrong orientation it won't work well either.

When positioning it correctly, whats the easiest way to position it?

As in, I know you just slide in onto the throttlebody without tightening the clamps along with the intercooler, but the hard part is tightening it without it moving out of place. Any hints or tips that I am missing?

I messed around with the oem tb hose for a long time before I just gave up. I could not get it to hold no matter what position I turned it. I tried to line up the green dot and I tried every other position. I tried different clamps and it would not work.

I bought the AVO and it fit right on. It took me 30 - 45 min to install. Has not given me any problems since. I also tightened the t-connector underneath the tmic. Just something good to do so you dont have to take off the tmic again.

I bought the AVO and it fit right on. It took me 30 - 45 min to install. Has not given me any problems since. I also tightened the t-connector underneath the tmic. Just something good to do so you dont have to take off the tmic again.

Good to know. Yeah, I always check the t-connector anytime the TMIC is off. I might just go with the AVO then. I want to keep a stock appearance just in case I want to sell the car at some point. (I guess I could just go with a black one)

I've got an AVO TMIC and OEM TB hose and running stage 1....no problems.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

I've got an AVO TMIC and OEM TB hose and running stage 1....no problems.

Yeah, I am not quite sure why the hose is failing on me like that, but it certainly needs to be replaced. I might have overtightened it with the clamps?

I'm running a Perrin TMIC at stage 2.5. I had the OEM tube pop off at the throttle body causing me no end of grief. Mike and Dave at ESP fixed it by adding spring-loaded clamps and orienting the tube properly. There is a white dot on the throttle body end of the tube which must be oriented straight up when you install it. The spring-loaded clamps help because they maintain constant tension even after they have heat cycled numerous times. I'm thinking of going to the AVO tube simply because it is more rigidly constructed and is less likely to bulge under boost. I figure that if the tube bulges, it tries to become shorter and puts strain on the clamps.

I'm running a Perrin TMIC at stage 2.5. I had the OEM tube pop off at the throttle body causing me no end of grief. Mike and Dave at ESP fixed it by adding spring-loaded clamps and orienting the tube properly. There is a white dot on the throttle body end of the tube which must be oriented straight up when you install it. The spring-loaded clamps help because they maintain constant tension even after they have heat cycled numerous times. I'm thinking of going to the AVO tube simply because it is more rigidly constructed and is less likely to bulge under boost. I figure that if the tube bulges, it tries to become shorter and puts strain on the clamps.

Finally, someone else has the same issue. I think the AVO tube is the route I am going to take as well.

Well, from what FPerron is talking about, issue comes from when the TB end of the hose is misaligned (?)....I've never taken mine off to begin with.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Well, from what FPerron is talking about, issue comes from when the TB end of the hose is misaligned (?)....I've never taken mine off to begin with.

Right, I can't say that about my car as I used to have a FMIC and reverted back to stock and placed a used hose back on and more than likely had it misaligned. :)

Must've been "magic" to get the AVO tmic on w/out touching the TB hose:rolleyes:.

On a more serious and realistic note, the stock TB hose is made of some type of rubberized tissue-paper I believe. Putting a used one back on you could certainly tear it or rip it. I had a few issues when I installed my AVO tmic a few years ago, but I used better clamps and aligned it properly on my second attempt.

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

[/color] On a more serious and realistic note, the stock TB hose is made of some type of rubberized tissue-paper I believe. Putting a used one back on you could certainly tear it or rip it.

Yeah, thats just further justification as to why I should just go with an AVO hose as opposed to another OEM hose. The OEM house is $52 + shipping. The AVO is $65 and much stronger material from what I can tell.

[/color]

Must've been "magic" to get the AVO tmic on w/out touching the TB hose:rolleyes:.

Trying reading....I've never taken the TB end of the hose off. I've never taken the TB HOSE off, but I have taken the IC out of the TB hose.

Archived