LegacyGT.com

Roof rack thread for Fourth Generation Legacy Sedan.

For those of you looking for Roof racks of all different types I listed below a few manufacturers out there. I am sure there are many more out there and it is likely that you can get them from different stores for less money. I suggest you check them all out to start with to get a feel for whats out there, decide which you like, then do a search online for whatever brand you prefer to see who sells it for less. Don't be afraid to buy used racks from forum members or places like ebay or craigslist. There are not too many moving parts that break or wear out. For the parts that do break, fall off, or wear out (ie: cross bar end-caps) you can easily find replacement parts at any shop that sells that brand of rack or directly from the manufacturer. If you buy used just be sure you know the EXACT part number(s) of what you are trying to buy. I realize that was probably a given but it had to be said. Well, I'm going to step off of my soap box now. I hope that was helpful! If you have any questions just PM me and I'll be happy to assist.

Yakima

Thule

Inno Racks

Whispbar

Rocky Mounts

This thread might be better suited in a different section as it really applies to all years/models of Subarus. Just my opinion though.

Edited by COmtnBiker

2012 Xterra Pro-4X

2003 Outback Sedan Limited

D.U.S.T.O.F.F.

"Dedicated Unhesitating Service To Our Fighting Forces"

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My base rack system is Yakima, with a Lift Ticket snowboard rack for the winter. This is my summer setup for camping, which is a generic cargo basket offset to one side, and a Yakima Viper bike rack on the other side.

All the Yakima stuff gets locked with the SKS locks. Never really worried about the cheapo cargo basket.

41342_546304025912_72100768_31734885_2741505_n.jpg

230117_578622584262_72100768_32092412_7097958_n.jpg

I went with a wispbar rack. Super quiet and doesn't require a fairing. You can actually open the sun root without being deafened. Not cheap though...

Very nice, I had not come across the whispbar racks. Though I haven't been in the market for a new rack setup in 10 years or more. It does appear to be a bit more expensive. I like the slim design and am intrigued by the sound.

Very nice, I had not come across the whispbar racks. Though I haven't been in the market for a new rack setup in 10 years or more. It does appear to be a bit more expensive. I like the slim design and am intrigued by the sound.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6BUO1RLt_g]YouTube - ‪Wind Tunnel Tests Whispbar, Thule and Yakima Roof Racks‬‏[/ame] This video sold me on those bars :)

Has anyone else had someone try and steal their roof racks? Some douche about a year ago tried to pry mine off with a flat head screw driver.

Someone tried to steal my rack 2 months ago. I was quoted $900 to fix the damage. Not Happy :spin:

Edited by gapper

People are pathetic and try to steal anything... Sometimes I'm glad I don't live in a city area... Granted the sticks typically aren't much better for the thief's but there is a lot less vandalism and car theft issues.

• 4 months later...

I installed my new Thule rack on my 08 2.5i Limited a few months ago.

480 Traverse Footpack

1340 Kit for Footpack

LB50 Load Bars

872XT Fairing 44 inch.

92725 Universal Flat Top Ski Rack

Lock Cylinders

Luckily I purchased my setup from Eastern Mountain Sports with 20% off.

All together for the base rack, fairing, locks and ski rack with taxes was about $550.

I can barely hear mine as well with the moonroof cover closed. You will notice at least a 2MPG decrease in fuel mileage though on the highway, without the ski rack on obviously.

• 3 months later...
I'm looking to pick up the new whisp bar setup. Someone post some pics!

Im also wondering if I can fit the large ski rack plus a bike on each side? I'm sure I will need the open ended bars but still not sure it will fit. Anyone know?

http://cs.ucsb.edu/~rchertov/roof1.jpg

http://cs.ucsb.edu/~rchertov/roof2.jpg

^ that looks really really good. a lot lower than my Thule setup was, much more streamlined.

The thing which is great about the wispbar is that it looks clean and is super quiet. My old Yakima setup was like something somebody built out of the legos and made a horrible noise, which could only be corrected with a faring.

my thule setup was built very well which is why i purchased it over the yakima. Both are excellent systems. I found the thule was audible with my moonroof cover open, but once closed i can barely notice.

Hows your mpg's with this one? I doubt there will be too much improvement over the losses in the other systems, as it is still resistance, but this one just looks better.

my thule setup was built very well which is why i purchased it over the yakima. Both are excellent systems. I found the thule was audible with my moonroof cover open, but once closed i can barely notice.

Hows your mpg's with this one? I doubt there will be too much improvement over the losses in the other systems, as it is still resistance, but this one just looks better.

I think this bar setup is non-issue in my stage2 car as far as mpg goes :) I can get somewhere 24~25mpg on the highway.

thanks for the info. I will very much consider this rack setup as my thule was sold over the summer. I am back in the need of a rack setup. I might not even have to worry as my car is up in June, so new car might have rack all thought out for me. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered today, i'm looking forward to load testing them on the highway. 160 lbs is not that much, that's not even enough for one mafia informant's corpse on top of your car at a time.

On the other hand isn't the roof designed to be able to hold the weight of the car in a roll-over. So i should be able to stack 3,000 lbs of farm-fresh Wisconsin gouda on top of Lucille (my car's name) and be awesome.

Full disclosure; it's late and i've been drinking. let's revisit this subject in the morning.

I got some whispbars this week. I got the "thru" shape. I used to have the "flush" ones on my mazda 3 but found that it was a little bit harder to strap things down properly. i had nothing to wrap the straps around to stop things moving sideways.

The bars themselves don't make much noise but the feet make a little bit of noise. they don't show you that in their test videos..

pictures. it's a wagon but thought they'd be useful anyways

20120406_200946.jpg.370000e62f70bc6465fc38944082aa9e.jpg

20120406_201002.jpg.5bf892ff5ad1a83e5b5bcb72b2073d57.jpg

20120406_201034.jpg.f08b6b1e15f019946c7672f49971c38d.jpg

Edited by honeybadger