LegacyGT.com

My list of performance tires/wheels in fittable sizes

SUBE555

This is what I have come up with for some of the better and more easy to find sizes and tire types as well as some of the wheels I am looking at, including vendor and prices. I don't know how service is with 1010tires and I know they are a little more pricewise, I just listed them for a reference. Hope this helps some people. I have some more info in a different spreadsheet that I will add when I can. [list] Optional Tires: [u][i]215/45R-17 (recommended 17x7"+ wheel)[/i][/u] $143 - BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW - TireRack $143 - BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 - TireRack $112 - Bridgestone Fuzion ZRi - 1010Tires $166 - Bridgestone Potenza 050 - TireRack $136 - Bridgestone Potenza RE750 - TireRack $169 - Bridgestone Potenza S-03 - TireRack $122 - Kumho ECSTA MX - TireRack $195 - Pirelli Pzero Corsa - TireRack $116 - Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S - TireRack $115 - Toyo Proxes 4 - 1010Tires $160 - Toyo Proxes T1-S - 1010Tires [u][i]225/45R-17 (recommended 17x7.5"+ wheel)[/i][/u] $165 - BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KD - TireRack $147 - BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDW 2 - TireRack $119 - Bridgestone Fuzion ZRi - 1010Tires $169 - Bridgestone Potenza 050A - TireRack $181 - Bridgestone Potenza RE070 - TireRack $141 - Bridgestone Potenza RE750 - TireRack $178 - Bridgestone Potenza S-03 - TireRack $161 - Falken Azenis Sport - 1010Tires $127 - Kumho ECSTA MX - TireRack $178 - Kumho ECSTA V700 (Heat Cycled and Shaved) - TireRack $228 - Pirelli Pzero Corsa - TireRack $151 - Pirelli Pzero Nero - TireRack $123 - Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S - TireRack $154 - Toyo Proxes 4 - 1010Tires $170 - Toyo Proxes T1-S - 1010Tires $212 - Yokohama Advan A048 - TireRack [u][i]215/40R-18 (recommended 18x7"+ wheel)[/i][/u] $161 - Pirelli Pzero Nero - TireRack $125 - Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S - TireRack $179 - Toyo Proxes 4 - 1010Tires [u][i]215/45R-18 (req 18x7"+ wheel)[/i][/u] $? - Bridgestone Potenza 050A - ? [u][i]225/40R-18 (req 18x7.5"+ wheel)[/i][/u] $189 - BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD - TireRack $162 - BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 - TireRack $139 - Bridgestone Fuzion ZRi - 1010Tires $233 - Bridgestone Potenza 050A - TireRack $196 - Bridgestone Potenza S-03 - TireRack $145 - Bridgestone Potenza RE750 - TireRack $158 - Kumho ECSTA MX - TireRack $208 - Kumho ECSTA V700 (Heat Cycled and Shaved) - TireRack $160 - Toyo Proxes 4 - 1010Tires $190 - Toyo Proxes T1-S - 1010Tires $250 - Toyo RA-1 - 1010Tires $173 - Pirelli Pzero Nero - TireRack $126 - Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S - TireRack $273 - Yokohama Advan A048 - TireRack [u][i]Price Per Wheels[/i][/u] $420 - BBS RGR Bright Satin Silver Forged 17x7.5" - TireRack $505 - BBS RGR Bright Satin Silver Forged 18x7.5" - TireRack $330 - Gram Light 57S Bronze 7-Spoke 17x7.5" - Gruppe-S $260 - Prodrive P1 17x7" - Prodrive-USA $320 - Prodrive P1 18x7.5" - Prodrive-USA $375 - Prodrive PFF-7 Bright Flitter 18x8" - Prodrive-USA $650 - Rota Torque Steel Grey 17x7.5" (SET) - Subydude $650 - Rota Tarmac II Bronze, Steel Grey, Full Royal Steel Grey 17x7.5" (SET) - Subydude $725 - Rota Tarmac II Bronze, Steel Grey, Full Royal Steel Grey 18x7.5" (SET) - Subydude $105 …Add Spline-Drive Lug Nuts, Basic Centercaps, Touchup Paint Subydude $410 - SSR GT7 Silver 7-Spoke Forged 17x7.5" - TireRack $460 - SSR GT7 Silver 7-Spoke Forged 18x8" - TireRack ? - Subaru of Japan OEM 18x7" Spec B - ? ? - Subaru OEM Stock 17x7" - ? $295 - Work Emotion CR 17x8" +47 Bronze - Gruppe-S[/list]

Car and Driver had an autocross test of the BF Goodrich tires on TV today. They "compared" them to offerings from Toyo and Yokohama. They used stock WRX STi's to do the "comparison." The event was basically put on by BF Goodrich, so of course Car and Driver would not bash their tires in terms of performance. And, they didn't provide the reviews of the tires with respect to price. Car and Driver did like the Gforce TA KDW's, and the autocross had wet sections to test both wet and dry performance. Car and Driver liked the BF Goodrich tires, and some of the BFG engineers talked about the design of the tires to get good performance. So, maybe I'll start reading reviews of the BFG tires too. :D

I still like Falken Azenis. Great price, stick well and not too terrible in the wet I've found. They do wear rather fast -- I got a year on my set with a few autocross days and one autocross school. And lots of hard, fast turns when the traffic allowed. :D

The more I read, the Proxes 4 is probably the best A/S tire out there, basically a lower temp version of the T1-S in how it handles, but it can take some snow (less than a dedicated snow of course.) For those who like others, that's fine, these are just the ones I found had some of the better ratings and prove good by my criteria. OOO, I found some more vendors with halfways decent listings and some excellent prices! More research. :P

• 2 weeks later...
SUBE, you can add the Prodrive P1 in 17 and 18" fitment to that list. A friend called Prodrive to ascertain fitment, and they confirmed that the P1 in both sizes fit the Legacy. Kevin

• 2 weeks later...
I really like these wheels: [url]http://www.legacysti.com/album_page.php?pic_id=60[/url] [url]http://www.legacysti.com/album_page.php?pic_id=61[/url] Can anyone tell me if those are 17" or 18"? Also what width are they and what tires would fit them well? And where can one purchase ProDrive wheels? (And those cool blue lug nuts please!!!) Thanks. =)

[quote name='jim1969']What about the Falken Ziex ZE 512's. They come in 215/45/ZR17.[/quote] I had Zeix 512s in 215/45/17 or 225/45/17 (I forget which width) on my last car and they did very well and had high treadlife. They were a bit noisy though, as often is the case with harder compound tires that last longer.

[quote name='yacoub']I really like these wheels: [url]http://www.legacysti.com/album_page.php?pic_id=60[/url] [url]http://www.legacysti.com/album_page.php?pic_id=61[/url] Can anyone tell me if those are 17" or 18"? Also what width are they and what tires would fit them well? And where can one purchase ProDrive wheels? (And those cool blue lug nuts please!!!) Thanks. =)[/quote] The Prodrive wheels come with center caps. I believe that is the 18" model from looking at the brakes. Be prepared, they aren't cheap. Over $2k for a set. They're Prodrive and they're forged, that says it all. BTW, for the Falken's, they are pretty good, but didn't hit me as competitive as the others and I heard of the noise thing, so that turned me off. It is MY list after all. :P Kevin, you said the P1's didn't look that good on the GT, so I don't think we need to add them. :mrgreen:

I'm not as concerned with the cost as I am with how they look and how they perform. I've found that's the only way to end up relatively satisfied with the end result. =) Btw, are you saying that those blue lug nuts are part of the center cap??? I think they're actually sporty lug nuts and I want to know who makes them and where to get them too, because I love how they look on that gunmetal rim on the silver B4, which is the color I'd get. =) Also, those ProDrive 10s, what width are they in 18"? 18x8? And what size tire is optimal for whatever width they are? Thanks for all your help!

I just weighed the pros/cons, it wasn't on my list. I don't know who makes the lugs, but they aren't Prodrive. I'll just use my regular lugs. I'm not much for flair or as I might call rice. The wheels are 18x7.5 ($625 per) or 18x8 ($635 per.) Optimal tire is 225/40R-18.

Btw I wasn't saying you should add them to your list, I just saw this thread discussing wheels and tires so informatively, so I figured it would be the right place to ask. Thanks for the sizing info! I'll have to search around for those lugs. =) Regards!

• 2 weeks later...
What about [url=http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiExtremeContact&partnum=145WR7CEC]Continental Conti-Extremes[/url]? They've gotten great reviews on TireRack and are only $94 per.

I'll definitely say they aren't a performance tire. That's why I wouldn't add them, not for the GT's anyhow. Too soft of sidewalls. The Toyo's I have perform great for an A/S and were cheaper yet. :)

[url]http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+GS-D3[/url] I just bought these. Actually, since I live in Canada I got them from [url]www.talontire.com[/url] to avoid shipping and brokerage charges. Interestingly, my dealer took my RE92s and gave me an $800 (!) credit to be used on anything at the dealer (parts, service, whatever). They said they would use them if another Legacy owner needed a tire. Tom

Xenonk, unless you are running massive amounts of hp, anything wider than 225 isn't likely to be to your benefit really. Greater rolling mass and resistance beyond needed grip levels equals lesser handling ability and a quicker hit to the fuel tank. I'm sticking to 215 and 225 width tires. There is a LOT of good tires available in those widths.

Those tire sizes are all over the place. In order to maintain the same speedometer readings, the correct tire upgrade in Plus-Zero is 245/40-17 or 235/40-17. For Plus 1, the correct size is 235/35-18. All these tire sizes are good for 8.5-inch wheels. 215/40-18 is also correct, but it makes more sense going Plus Zero than keeping the same narrow 215 tire section on a 18-inch wheel, IMHO. By the way, the size Tirerack recommends for the 05 Legacy in Plus 1, 225/40-18, is wrong. Last year the same thing happened with the Lexus IS300 and they later corrected it to 215/40-18. Val

ok guys, I just put on the 18" rims I had left over from my WRX.. on a 7.5" wide rim, the offset should be higher than 42mm (the car will rub the fender IF the car is going to be lowered). Also, running 235/35/18 is even closer to the fender liner edge, so you should get the rears rolled. I have a set of 225/40/18 with the 18"x7.5" rims with 42mm offset.. OFFSET IS SUPER IMPORTANT, THERE IS NO ROOM IN THE REAR TO PUSH THE WHEELS FURTHER AWAY FROM THE CENTERLINE OF THE CAR. Keefe
Keefe

Archived