LegacyGT.com

Airbag Light on

kingor

So long story short, my airbag light has been on my dashboard for a little while now and it does not seem to go off. I am just over my 36k mile warranty and would hate to spend 100 for a deductible for something easy I could fix myself. The light once went on about a month ago then it went off one day, but now its back on again.

Any suggestions on why it would be on? I think it is something to do with a loose wire underneath one of the seats. I once adjusted the seats forward and it went off, however it no longer does that.

My light is on too. This is covered under warranty for me (not sure if it's because of our extended warranty or if these types of parts are warrantied longer - I'm at 50k). The map assemblylight (for the passenger air bag) is what the dealer is replacing tomorrow. The light does work most of the time but sometimes its dim and sometimes its completely off. That's what they diagnosed the problem to be.

what year are your cars? my air bag light is on most of the time...but does sometimes turn off...the overhead light appears to have a short...if i hit it the map light it turns back on...i too am just over 36k miles on my 08 lgt.

Not to thread jack (but didnt wanna start a new thread), but Ive been having the same problem. Only with me...I switched out the seats a few months ago for some STI seats and was fine with having the airbag light on. But now Ive returned the OEM leather seats to the car and taken the STI seats out. Ive plugged everything back in (Seat belt sensor, airbag sensor, everything) and still have the light on. Ive tried disconnecting the negative battery terminal to reset everything and turned the car on and the light went off for about 5 seconds and then popped back on. Is there anything I can do.. maybe a trick or something? Or is a trip to the dealer and pay whatever crazy price they have in order? Thanks... and again sorry for the thread jack.

Droc I think once u put new seats or different seats and reinstall ur old ones, you have to get it recalibrated to get the airbag light sensor to go away and work properly. I've talked to the parts guys about it and that's what he said. But I'm not 100 sure...hope it helps

Thanks for the replies all. Mine is a 2008. I'm bringing it to the dealer on Friday so ill keep everyone updated. I think its just retarded a new car would have this type of problem. If its not covered underneath my extended warranty Imma flip out. I'm sure ill be paying 100 regardless since that's what my deductible is as well as the coat to diagnose the car....

Droc I think once u put new seats or different seats and reinstall ur old ones, you have to get it recalibrated to get the airbag light sensor to go away and work properly. I've talked to the parts guys about it and that's what he said. But I'm not 100 sure...hope it helps

Yeah thats what I was afraid of.... guess Ill give the dealership a call and see what they say. Thanx!

I just got my car back from the dealership. Turns out the MAP Light had faulty wires which caused the MAP light to not work properly and display the Airbag light on the dash board. I owed my $100 deductible and was on my way. I still cant believe something like that would be defective on a new car..

• 11 months later...

my airbag light is on for a few months now. Paid dealer $50 to diagnose the problem. They found 2 codes, for bad passenger sensor, and something about door sensor(?). $500+ to fix. Shoot me.

Will try to unplug/plug seat harness sometime today.

low and behold... this airbag light thing seems to have become common. i just got this a month ago. thought it was because of the "cold" air because it would disappear when it got warm but now ive driven in warm temps and it's still on. i have never looked under my seat for the harness. is it easily accessible? just move the seat fully front/back?

background info: 2008 LGT 65k miles out of the damn warranty....

• 4 weeks later...

Add me to the list.

My 08 Spec B started randomly turning the airbag light a few months ago. Already over 50k and way past warranty. I also thought it was due to cold weather, since it seems to be more likely to turn on early in the morning or at night. Lately it does it more often.

I've read about checking wires. It does seem to behave like a bad connection somewhere. I don't want to pay the dealer to read the codes, but I guess that's the only way to do it?

I went to the dealer and it was the sensor in the map light. I'd say reconnect the plugs under the seats.if that doesn't work its probably the sensor in the map light. Dealer cost me $ 300. If I were you I'd research a diy for the map light sensor replacement.

What's funny is one of the codes I got from diagnostics reads "passenger seat sensor". But it perfectly detects when passenger is in the seat (message near the map light says on and off).... so it smells extremely fishy....

What's funny is one of the codes I got from diagnostics reads "passenger seat sensor". But it perfectly detects when passenger is in the seat (message near the map light says on and off).... so it smells extremely fishy....

That's what the dealership told me too. I had my inspection sticker expiring last month so I just had to do it. Sucks

• 9 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread. I've been diagnosing my intermittent airbag light for a bit. I unbolted my seats to get access underneath and checked all of the sensor connections. I've narrowed it down to the map light passenger airbag indicator. I took the map light assembly down and checked all of the connections, I noticed that many of the wires (small gauge) had short bending radii, it looked to be like it might be poor design by Subaru cramming sensitive circuits into kinked wires.

When it's warm out, the indicator light works properly, when it's cold or raining it seems to fail to turn on. When the ignition is first turned on, all three lights on the map light indicator are supposed to torn on "Passenger Airbag, On, and Off". I noticed that when my airbag indicator in the cluster comes on, it's because the "Off" light does not show when the car first starts. If I smack the map light assembly right after I start the car, the "Off" light will come on and no airbag warning light will show in the cluster. What I'm not sure is, is this a problem with the wiring connecting to the map light assembly, or is this a problem with the LED display itself.

Does anyone have part numbers for this equipment? Either the whole map light assembly, or just the passenger airbag light indicator? I am trading my car into the dealership soon and I'd like to get an idea of what the cost is to fix it so I don't get hosed on my trade in. If it's cheap enough, I may order the part and just replace it so I don't have to worry about it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

2008 Legacy with 30k miles...

This problem just began about 2 weeks ago... I get in the car and start it up. There is a red "airbag" light on the dash. (solid red) My wife gets in, sits down, the light goes OUT for 5 seconds and then comes back ON. I turn the car OFF (with my wife STILL in the seat), then start the car up again. Light is OFF for about 5 sec. then comes back ON. Driving along, it could go OUT for a while, but ALWAYS seems to come back ON, at one point or another??? Driving us BONKERS !!!! Have a great day... T

If enough owners are having problems with the airbag lights, the company may have to do a recall??? Or maybe "they" are already aware of this problem??? Just a thought.

"They" pay for recalls, so I'm sure, there would have to be many cars involved, with this particular problem, for them to announce it. Any thoughts or comments?

Have a great Holiday... T

• 1 month later...

Archived