LegacyGT.com

COBB vs. Tactrix

ponchohome

This is in regards to our MY07 Forester XT. I posted on subaruforester.org but no replies over there so I thought I'd try my luck with my fellow Legacy owners.

So I received my AP the other day and started wondering:

What would prevent me from flashing COBBs OTS maps onto my ECU, then using a tactrix cable to download each map to my laptop, then selling my AP and using the Tactrix cable with RomRaider and ECUFlash to fine tune the maps, but at least having a good starting point for Stage 1&2 maps and have the economy map as well.

Just wondering. Any input would be appreciated...and I know "technically" the maps are copyright by COBB, but I would fine tune them myself using a wideband O2 sensor.

So after I flash my ECU with a COBB OTS map, I can't then use a tactrix cable to read my ECU and the current tune installed on it? Hmmm...does COBB not flash a completely new hex file to the ECU? Or do they lock out reading the ECU from other devices when an AP is married to the ECU...that's probably it. No way to read an ECU without AP, and unmarrying the AP restores the original MAP...Is this correct?

Or do they lock out reading the ECU from other devices when an AP is married to the ECU...that's probably it. No way to read an ECU without AP, and unmarrying the AP restores the original MAP...Is this correct?

Correct.

It's called protecting your intellectual property.

I have no problem with someone protecting intellectual property, but lets be honest, a tune should be open source, and COBB should make their money selling hardware, or for a small fee offer OTS tunes for open source flashing. I mean in the end they are modifying the intellectual property of Subaru OEM tunes, no? It's not like they are completely redoing the MAP, just tweaking. I just want to do the same.

I have developed my own "tune" for my 1989 Trans Am so I am familiar tuning, but currently the tactrix route would be starting from scratch with the OEM map and putting countless hours just to get it to stage 1 and then fine tuning and I really don't have the time for that. That's why I ended up buying the AP.

However, if there was an open source Stage 1 available, I could then just fine tune for my particular car using my WB O2 sensor.

Your dillema is so 2007-2008 and I am sure you could have come up with greatly informative search results. The answer is no you cannot. And really you should jut stick with open source unless you MUST and I repeat MUST use that i-drive button to switch between tunes such as between grades of fuel.

why don't you just use streettuner or whatever cobb gives the public to self tune?

Yeah that's what I will be doing...I was just pondering the possibility because originally I was going to go open source but then I picked up my AP relatively cheap, so I was thinking I can sell this for a profit & go to open source with a jump start on my tuning.

I wasn't able to find any reliable stage 1 or 2 maps for my particular app open source so that's why I hadn't yet purchased the tactrix and then stumbled across my AP cheap and jumped on it.

Its a great little device, very happy to have purchased it.

Your dillema is so 2007-2008

Sorry I am so late to the game, but better late then never!

Archived