LegacyGT.com

Difficult to shift into gear

ericem

Hey guys trying to debate just doing a clutch job or clutch and transmission. Reason I ask is the car drives great just it is difficult to shift at times particularly when taking off from a standstill at times it is extremely difficult to get into any gear. Than sometimes works just fine?! I am thinking pilot bearing and/or shift fork because the clutch engages right at the bottom of the pedal.

Would you guys suggest maybe adjusting the clutch pedal or it is probably a clutch issue. Also changed the transmission fluid with motul which made it a bit better but not significantly.

Also to add I have no history on the vehicle atm it was sitting for several months because of a blown turbo and currently has over 160k miles. Transmission when driving is extremely smooth and quiet.

Have you looked at the shift linkage to make sure it is all tight ?

At your mileage, I'd be looking at replacing the clutch kit anyways.

Wait a minute, your avatar info say's you have a 5eat ?

Is this a trick question ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 months later...

im having this same issue at the moment. im at 140k. need to figure this out. master cylinder and slave cylinder are not leaking, and appear to be working fine.

4th is the hardest to enter. and reverse is worse.

goes into 1st gear ok sometimes, and its like im match-revving the rest of the gears as im driving.

Hey guys trying to debate just doing a clutch job or clutch and transmission. Reason I ask is the car drives great just it is difficult to shift at times particularly when taking off from a standstill at times it is extremely difficult to get into any gear. Than sometimes works just fine?! I am thinking pilot bearing and/or shift fork because the clutch engages right at the bottom of the pedal.

Would you guys suggest maybe adjusting the clutch pedal or it is probably a clutch issue. Also changed the transmission fluid with motul which made it a bit better but not significantly.

Also to add I have no history on the vehicle atm it was sitting for several months because of a blown turbo and currently has over 160k miles. Transmission when driving is extremely smooth and quiet.

If the problem still persists, or shows itself again over time, your clutch master cylinder could be going bad. You don't have to see leaks or drips for a bad cylinder.

You will know when it completely fails... you won't be able to get into the gears at all.

Archived