LegacyGT.com

Wagons beware - tailgate electricals

its pretty much a sure thing every wagon will have this issue...

Sure seems like it - every wagon 2005 or 2006 at least. But, my old '97 OB Wagon, which died near 200K miles and 15 years of age, never had the slightest problem with the electricals in the tailgate (or anywhere else for that matter). Nope. All this PITA-ness is because some moron or idiot bean-counter decided to skimp on the quality of wire used in the harness.

• 2 weeks later...

I had no door lock actuator, door lock switch, or reverse lights. Found 6 wires broken, 5 more on the way, and 3 intact. Does anyone know why there are 2x light green/black stripe? I can't figure it out from the wiring diagram, and I cut them apart before noticing.

Mostly fixed now anyway, wish I'd figured this out before someone opened my unlocked and unalarmed trunk and took my stuff. Oh well.

Andy

I initially researched this thread a couple of months ago when my buddies 08 outback had the broken wire issue, dealership quote 400 blah blah.

He ended up ordering the harness and changing it out himself in 20 minutes, the most complicated thing he has ever worked on is a bike. Just a couple of pillar panels in the back and it was all plug and play - according to him.

So I am having the same problem where my hatch is not locking. I checked the wires in the boot and did not see any frayed/cut wires or even broken insulation. The other thing I noticed today was that I had my rear wiper in the first/slow position. When I put it into reverse the rear wiper all of a sudden started to wipe like it was in the fast position. When I took it out of reverse it went back to wiping in the slow position again. Has anyone noticed this with frayed wires or is this some factory thing from subaru that I just never noticed?

My alarm goes on as soon as I close the drivers door, even with the hatch up, indicating that it doesn't know the hatch is opened.

Came here to post a question on the hatch switch and found this.

Have to go check my wires when I get home.

Thanks for the color-code chart!

Steve

Any new owners with this issue, please continue to report the claims through the website https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq

Takes 10 minutes.

This could be a serious safety issue, and Subaru should own up to it.

Edited by BoozeRS05

• 2 weeks later...

I just filed a complaint with NHTSA previously my harness on the passenger side of the lift gate ripped itself apart, now my radio reception stopped, upon investigation I found torn wires on the driver's side of the rear lift gate. Spliced them back together and all is good now.

Contact NHTSA when you encounter this wiring nightmare.

Edited by big ears
Clarity

I called the dealer and they said no warranty or recall.

BTW, if you are going to repair it, take a picture first.

I just got an email from NHTSA asking for a picture of the broken wires or the repair invoice.

Unfortunately, I didn't grab a pic before I fixed it.

Steve

UPDATE here too!!

Last Thursday I got an email from the NHTSA asking for more info on the issue.

They asked:

"1. Did both right and left brake lights go out, or just the third center mounted light go out? What about tail lights and turn signals?

2. Was there any dash lights or chime that alerted you to the issue? If not, what first prompted you to investigate?

3. If you have taken pictures of the damaged harness and its routing near where it was cut, please email them to me.

4. If you have the harness repaired, please email me a copy of the repair invoice.

Steve C***

Safety Defects Engineer

Office of Defects Investigation"

So it seems like this might be working. Anyone care to email me pictures or an invoice of their repair? My documentation is grossly minimal, and I have not responded yet.

Anyone care to email me pictures or an invoice of their repair? My documentation is grossly minimal, and I have not responded yet.

Do not send in someone else's documentation. If they see a duplicate, they will think it's not legit and you could have TWO complaints invalidated.

On top of that, it could be a federal crime to falsify documentation.

Just tell them what you have and what you did. If you don't know the answer to a question, then say that you don't know.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...
I just got an email from NHTSA asking for a picture of the broken wires or the repair invoice.

This is awesome - I was just thinking of phoning them.

I didn't take pictures either, but mine is so obviously a hack - I fed through a bundled wire with 3 small conductors, used one for repair and left two for later failures - that even an "after" photo would show what happened, though not the actual frayed wire, as it's still inside the boot.

I just called NHTSA (888.327.4236) and the guy said "there is no ongoing investigation" on this car. He said there were only 9 complaints, and that it takes a lot more than that for a recall to be contemplated. It's very discouraging. But I don't think it can hurt to call in and log your concern.

• 4 weeks later...
I have poor radio reception and the other day my back up lights weren't working. (at least that's what my wife told me, but maybe she was wrong) Since then I've checked them while opening and closing the hatch several times and haven't noticed flickering/dimming so idk. I might check it out just to see and maybe wrap wires that are one their way. I was wondering if there is a way bad wiring at this location could cause the center dome to go out. Mine hasn't been working for almost a year.

It should not affect the front dome light.

but both dome lights can be turned on by opening the hatch when the rear dome light is set to door.

if that wire is grounded it could prevent the front dome light from operating or blow its fuse.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader