LegacyGT.com

05 LGT tranny grinding/rubbing slop problem. Opinions?

MooKz

First off, i wanted to embarrass myself and tell you how it started. A month ago, i had stopped paying attention while pulling out from a light. I got up into 3rd gear and built up the right speed for 4th and not paying attention, i downshifted to second. (long day at work.)

Ever since, there is a type of grinding or rubbing feel that i can feel through the clutch and gas pedal and under the car that occurs after riding 4th gear for a little while i barely feel it in fifth at all, and third is more sloppy than 5th, but not as bad as 4th.

I changed the tranny fluid today with Subaru Extra S and it is a little better but not by much.

Any opinions? Tranny is 5MT.

Well i was driving and heard a whine and thrn when i moved the shifter to 5th, there was a louder whine when the shifter met the right side of the shift pattern.

The drain plug had VERY few particles on it but i thought that was normal.

How many miles on the tranny ?

Drive it for a while and see if it begins to get louder. Your fine for now as long as it's just a whining if it begins to grind while shifting, then you'll need to look into getting it rebuilt someday.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

How many miles on the car?

How aggressive was the accidental downshift, and what is "4th gear speed" to you?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Tranny has 107k miles.

I was 4th speed, but roughly around 50. I hurried up and jumped on the clutch and shifted into 4th. It is pretty loud and this rubbing happens everytime i drive it.

Think it will be safe for test n tune?

• 2 weeks later...

Back from the grave!

I have determined it to be an axle or wheel bearing.

Reason being:

Today the roads are wet but still really grippy where i am driving. Making right turns, the car tries drifting. Pulling out normally from a gas station i looked like DK from Tokyo Drift. While im turning, i have to watch my speed. Sound like an axle or wb?

Archived