LegacyGT.com

Growling/Clunking noise in rear while accelerating hard in 1st or 2nd ??

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should start to petition vendors to start supplying parts that will fix this issue. It is embarrasing and annoying.

I wonder if LGT numbers are sufficient to create profitable demand. I'm just guessing, but isn't the "growling" being reported primarily by modded LGTs? However, I would think that normal wear and tear on OEM ones would begin to create the noise over time.

I wonder if LGT numbers are sufficient to create profitable demand. I'm just guessing, but isn't the "growling" being reported primarily by modded LGTs? However, I would think that normal wear and tear on OEM ones would begin to create the noise over time.

Vendors are making the parts that we use to modify the "limited" amount of LGTs that are modded.... so how would this be any different?

I too experience the same problem under hard acceleration in 1st, 2nd, etc, esp in cold weather (below freezing). In VERY cold weather, ie -5 to -10 degrees F, it will happen under moderate acceleration or off the line if turning. For me it seems to go away if the car is driven for 5 or so miles, regardless of temperature.

Guys add me in.

I have this problem as well.

Even though i had cold weather like -20f , I never noticed this kind of problem when I was stock. I never noticed this even when I had S techs on for winter.

I started noticing this a few days ago, and that's after I went Cobb Stg. 1.

So maybe this can be becayse of an increased power??

At first I thought maybe it's just the tires spinning.

Then I thought maybe it's just the snow/ice in the fenders.

With nothing there now, I still hear it.

I don't understand how bushings can't make such a sound, a piece of rubber, when it sounds like something is grinding/rubbing hard against each other.

I have this problem when my engine is cold and i havent warmed it enough i think. I get it in 1st and 2nd under half gas once wound up toward the later rpms it smooths out and a mile later it seems to go away. I dont know what the problem is but i'll let you know what my shop says. I think bushings or mounts of some sort, hope to find out.

I think its related to the gear oil in the diffs being too cold to provide adequate lubrication either 1. under hard acceleration, or 2 in extremely cold temperatues. I am still running straight, factory, subaru lube. How many of you who are having the problem are running synthetic? I have a WRX buddy who runs straight synthetic who does not have the problem.

I think its related to the gear oil in the diffs being too cold to provide adequate lubrication either 1. under hard acceleration, or 2 in extremely cold temperatues. I am still running straight, factory, subaru lube. How many of you who are having the problem are running synthetic? I have a WRX buddy who runs straight synthetic who does not have the problem.

Nope.

Synthetic gear oil here and still does it.

Sound does not go away when it is warmed up either.

Negative, I have to agree with LittleBlueGT. I'm running synthetic in my rear diff. It isn't the oil.

Ok, mine started now that it's really cold, but I'm only stage 1 and 5EAT. I gotta thought though as I had a similar problem with a Lincoln Mark VIII LSC. As the car hunched down (at higher speeds the suspension would lower automatically) I would get a very similar noise. It turned out that when the car lowered to a certain point, the angle of the drive shaft was pretty severe and would cause a whipping of the U-joints. Is it possible (I'm lowered on H's) that lowering them may have something to do with it? Are we all lowered? As we accelerate hard the rear squats further and may cause a whipping?

OK so everyone is lowered...so far.

Everyone is at least stage 1..so far.

Has anyone looked at the angle that the drive shaft comes in to the rear after lowering? I'm only at 12,500 miles btw, but just noticed the sound this week. Went stage 1 at 3000 miles.

Is anyone else 5EAT or all stick?