LegacyGT.com

WRX 5 spd?

I have a 95 Legacy Lsi with an auto. I've had plans to do a swap since I bought it, because I dig the trim package, and the interior. My whole goal when I bought the car, was to find a clean 2nd gen Subaru, and create a sleeper.

I'm well aware of the cost, and the work involved, and instead of trying to do everything at once, I'm slowly going to build it piece by piece.

My transmission is starting to bind a lot when I turn, which is a sure sign of soon to be tranny failure.

I see no reason to swap in a weak stock 5 spd, so I'm thinking now is a great time to swap in the WRX spd.

For the most part I know everything that I will need but I have a few questions. I tried googling this, and I really didn't find much related to a 5 spd swap, though I know it's very possible.

I'm mostly worried about the shift linkage (clutch setup, weather mechanical or hydraulic) and the driveline. Besides that, I think all I need is WRX axles, and a WRX rear diff. Thoughts? Resources?

Thanks guys.

• I Donated
My transmission is starting to bind a lot when I turn, which is a sure sign of soon to be tranny failure.

Thats a sure sign of torque bind. A problem that can be fixed with about $110 worth of parts from the dealer and a few hours of work.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated
dont listen to him, he knows nothing

I should go through my PM box and see how many messages I have from you begging me for help because you couldn't figure something out.

http://i.imgur.com/RT4yQ.gif

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

What year WRX trans are you planning on swapping? '02-05s blow second gear iirc. Like glass bro! :)

^This!

Go with the 4th gen LGT trans, they have wider gears. A lot of people use the gears from the 05/06 trans as replacements.

F**k it just go with a set of ppg gears lol:p

• I Donated

Dude torque bind is directly related to the center diff

Your center diff is part of your transmission. Hell, it even shares its fluid!. The binding in turns is from your center diff....not the actual transmission its self.

Obviously its besides the point since you're just going to swap it out anyways.

And for the record, its 3rd gear...not 2nd

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• 2 weeks later...
I have been hearing from everyone that the 02 - 05 WRX tranny's are weak, but I didn't realize it was second gear going out. Isn't that the whole issue we have on our N/A Legacy 5 spds? Almost would be better at that point to just swap a regular 5 spd in and keep swapping them as they break. Haha. Nah, I've been hearing that an LGT tranny is the way to go, and I've actually found a few on Craigslist, so it looks like they are out there, and that's what I'll look to be purchasing. Thanks everyone.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived