LegacyGT.com

What sensors/gauges should I get?

I am getting things ready for a tune on my 05 OB XT. I am about to get a DP then a tune from Revolutions Performance in Colorado Springs. I was going to get an EGT sensor and oil pressure sensor, but I saw that EGT sensors can break off in the up pipe, etc.

This is my daily driver and my main goal for selecting which gauges/sensors I get it so be able to see if something is going wrong before it causes serious damage. Does anybody have any suggestions/advice?

Thanks

I've got the STI gauge pack (Boost, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp) and an LC-1 Wideband O2 mounted in a JCS a-pillar gauge pod. LOVE IT!

On a built car, the three vital ones, IMHO are Boost, Oil Pressure (especially on an 05/06 with the oil pick up problems) and a Wideband O2.

You don't need EGT. The stock EGT is used to make sure the uppipe cat in the 05-06s doesn't reach melting temperature and come apart and grenade your turbo. It is not used in any fueling calculations either. Regardless, you should be replacing the uppipe with an uncatted version to really be proof from this design flaw anyway.

If you remove the cat, the uppipe EGT becomes superfluous. An aftermarket gauge running in the stock uppipe location would be in the wrong place to measure true exhaust gas temps as well. The EGT sensor needs to be closer to the exhaust ports by moving upstream into the exhaust manifold to get an accurate reading. Besides, afr will tell you the same info that's important for EGT, which is that you are running way too lean which causes exhaust gas temps to skyrocket and promotes detonation.

Boost and oil pressure are most important to see if you are maintaining known air pressure to match your tune (no unmetered air) and make sure there is always good lubrication as the stock oil light is set to something like 2 psi, which really just makes it a replace engine light.

Archived